my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » Leaving Orbit....   » What was it?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: What was it?
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 08-18-2000 06:07 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, when I was a bit younger, maybe 5 years ago, I remember standing on the front porch and seeing a comet (maybe not 5 years ago, you can probably tell me the year better then I can), well I think it was a comet, but I remember it being there for more then one day (or I think). Comets don't stick around that long do they?

------------------
Anakin
[monger=ff0000,ffffff]Holonet Jedi Master[/monger]
Forum Administrator

-Have you mowed your lawn today?-
-Trying is the first step towards failure......-
-Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates.....-

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 166.62.175.95
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-18-2000 09:41 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Comets most certainly do "hang around" for a long time (relatively speaking) as these things are in orbit around the Sun, as are the planets. Some are brighter than others, depending on how many times they have orbited the sun (each time around, they lose parts of themselves, and get smaller and dimmer~ less reflective stuff there) Anyway, since they are in solar orbit, once they are bright enough to "catch our eye," we will see them in the sky many nights, just like we see Jupiter, Mars, Saturn, Venus and Mercury ~ (losing sight of them when they duck behind the sun, of course!)

The short, fast ones are the meteors: these are bits of comets or asteroids or sometimes the Moon or Mars that are attracted to earth. The "burn up" in our atmosphere as they fall to earth, thus are only short little streaks of light, which sometimes, if we are lucky, actually explode. I've seen that happen once, it's way cool!

As soon as I can dig out my comet pics, I'll have them scanned and post them Oh yes, I imagine the comet you were looking at was Comet Hale-Bopp; it came along about 4 years ago, and was absolutely spectacular. If it sticks in your mind as it obviously does, that was probably the one. (Although it may have also been Hyakutake; that one came just ahead of Hale-Bopp, about a year in advance. It was fast moving, and didn't hang around in our skies long.)

------------------
"I Ride the Stormcloud and the Night!"

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Graysith on August 18, 2000]

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.205.32
R2

Dictator

Member # 121

posted 08-30-2000 01:58 PM     Profile for R2   Author's Homepage   Email R2     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hale-bopp was probably what you saw, it came around when we were in 5th grade, and it lasted for a lil while. Like graysith said they move but you can still see them, and it doesn't look like they're moving its kinda like how you know that the earth is moving but you can't see when a star is moving across the sky as the earth rotates.

------------------
R2 thePOD

Posts: 4 | From: | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 166.62.165.42

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05