my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » Leaving Orbit....   » Aurora Pictures

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: Aurora Pictures
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-17-2000 11:04 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK guys, here is what I am talking about. This is a picture of the Northern Lights seen over Iowa (Aurora Borealis) on the night of August 11-12, 2000.

------------------
"I Ride the Stormcloud and the Night!"

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 209.255.159.17
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-17-2000 11:08 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here's one with a Perseid meteor shooting through (hope it shows, the meteor is a tiny little streak....)

------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 209.255.159.17
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-17-2000 11:10 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
One last picture of Fire in the Sky!

------------------

BobPalpatine

Foo Fighter

Member # 17

posted 08-17-2000 11:49 PM     Profile for BobPalpatine   Author's Homepage   Email BobPalpatine     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Great pictures...where'd ya get em from. I use to check out Nasa.com every once in a while back at my old school and I really like veiwing stuff like this.

------------------
[monger=ff0000,ffff00]I got the rap industry clock clock on lock![/monger]

BobPalpatine
Holonet Moderator

Posts: 681 | From: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  Logged: 204.184.55.80
Gouyen Chee

Member # 31

posted 08-18-2000 12:04 AM     Profile for Gouyen Chee   Email Gouyen Chee     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Kewl pics, Graysith. It kinda makes one wonder what van Gogh's famous painting "Starry Night" might have look if he had lived a bit farther north....

------------------
Never underestimate the power of the dark side....
*Gouyen*

Posts: 69 | From: The Left Coast | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 209.178.130.20
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-18-2000 01:16 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thank you, Gouyen. And Bob, these pics were taken (as I stood nearby!) by one of the members of the Des Moines Astronomical Society, of which I am a member in good standing and past Treasurer. I have other astro pics if anyone is interested....

------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.205.61
BobPalpatine

Foo Fighter

Member # 17

posted 08-18-2000 02:09 AM     Profile for BobPalpatine   Author's Homepage   Email BobPalpatine     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I love this stuff...I took astronomy this yeat and this is great stuff...

------------------
[monger=ff0000,ffff00]I got the rap industry clock clock on lock![/monger]

BobPalpatine
Holonet Moderator

Posts: 681 | From: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  Logged: 204.184.55.37
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-18-2000 10:17 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'll keep this type of thing coming! Ani is "making it happen" for me to be able to upload pics here without having to bother him about it (I think) ~ then I'll keep more astro pics coming. I have a great one of the Milky Way, and somewhere I have one I took of the Orion Nebula (need to get it scanned first, though). Oh yeah, I have some of Comets Hyakutake and Hale-Bopp, too.

------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 209.255.158.122
Gouyen Chee

Member # 31

posted 08-18-2000 03:26 PM     Profile for Gouyen Chee   Email Gouyen Chee     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh boy, oh boy -- nice piccies of the comets I actually saw from my backyard -- YAY!!

I remember comet Hyakutake as a big fuzzy ball up in the northwest. Hale-Bopp actually looked like a comet, with a nice tail and all. It put on quite a show

Keep 'em coming Graysith!

------------------
Never underestimate the power of the dark side....
*Gouyen*

Posts: 69 | From: The Left Coast | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 209.178.128.137
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-26-2000 06:35 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK, here's one last auroral shot. This is not the same event that produced the auroral display in the above photos, but rather another full-halo mass coronal ejection (fancy word for "solar flare") that occurred in April of this year. Also, this picture was not taken in Iowa, but in Canada, so the aurora is a bit more intense (farther north).

Since the sun is in the peak of its sunspot cycle, which produces solar flares, which in turn intensifies auroral displays on the Earth, and since this "interval of peak activity" will go on for perhaps another 6 months or so, we can look for more auroras occurring in areas farther south than normally expected. I will keep you updated.

------------------

[Edited 7 times, lastly by Graysith on August 26, 2000]

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.199.37
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-27-2000 05:50 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
OK, so I lied. Here is another aurora pic, this one over a lake. It is from the same event that produced the green auroral curtain above.

Grrr... ok, so now I know not to send bmp's. I'll have to reformat this pic, and send it later. S'cool, though...

------------------

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Graysith on August 27, 2000]

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.200.33

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05