my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
»  The Holonet Boards   » Role Playing   » Empire and New Republic   » Tigers Walk by Night (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Printable Version
Author Topic: Tigers Walk by Night
Minna Manth

The Spy Who Loves You

Member # 388

posted 08-25-2004 05:31 PM     Profile for Minna Manth   Author's Homepage   Email Minna Manth     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
((OOC: Minna Manth continues her quest, coming in from All the King's Horses in the "Empire/New Republic" forums, thank you.))

Even though Minna was aware that her distination lay at least a good three day's travel from the coordinates marking the hiding place of the Hornett, she knew she wouldn't be bored.

Not in the least. There was too much to ponder upon, and too much to prepare for in advance. For when she finally came into orbit around Onderon's "Demon Moon," Dxun, she knew that from that moment on her life would be placed in the gravest of danger.

Well... maybe not as far as the Grand Scheme of Things goes, but far from moseying along Easy Street, she thought to herself as she sipped a small glass of the blue liquor. The fiery liquid seared down her throat and into her stomach, where it rebounded up to the top of her head. From there it cascaded gently down through her body in a gentle waterfall of what couldn't be described as anything else but "warm fuzzies."

Except for her mind. That was somehow completely bypassed, and left totally unaffected. One of the reasons she was so smitten by the stuff. Her concentration upon the notes in her hand was scarcely touched as she took another sip.

Dxun... called the Demon Moon, and for good reason. Way back in the yesteryears, around 4,000 years ago, in fact, it was the hidey-hole of Mandalore himself.

It was where he and his warriors hid, and from whence they sprung out like oil-blots to rage and rampage and ruin and do whatever the hell else it was they so liked to do.

Assisted along the way with their infamous armor, and secret weaponry.

Of which the Temblor toxin was but a small part.

Now the little Bothan spy sighed a bit, and flipped a page. That didn't help; the information she was reading grew even more horrendous.

Most people avoided Dxun, for it was populated by wild and ferocious beasts. It was rumored to yet harbor the descendants of Mandalore and his warriors, although nothing had come from the moon since his death but rumors and whispers... at least up until about a hundred years prior to the Battle of Yavin, when they up and burst out from hiding long enough to totally exterminate the Ithullan race. Undefeatable they were, until a group of jedi killed off the last remnants of their tribe, just before the start of the Clone Wars....

Or at least everyone thought that was the end of it. Actually no one really quite knew....

And all Minna knew was that the toxin had been created by the Mandalorians, and they hid out on Dxun, filled with an overabundance of lethal life.

Toxins are made from plants... and antidotes are made by their creators, if they are wise.

Minna didn't doubt for a moment that the Mandalorians hadn't been wise. So she continued to devour every bit of information she could glean about the ancient Mandalorians, whether it came from her own data banks or from something as antiquated as the book she was holding.

Somewhere on Dxun is the key, the antidote. I know it. I'll find it.

I have to....

She let the book close quietly and merely sat, a vacant expression coming into her eyes, and stared off into the smears of stars that outlined her viewports, looking for all the world like horizontal bars to a cage. Her blue funk was abruptly interrupted as a long-range sensor bleeped for attention.

Quickly, she sat up, and let her fingers dance upon her control panel. The monitors promptly obliged her by showing her an incredible sight:

Behind her and fast disappearing among the starstreaks was... an escapepod?

She quickly slowed to sublight, and hailed the pod.

"Heaven's Forbiddance here; do you need assistance?"

Leaving the connection open for reply, she settled down for a short wait.

I'll help if they need it, but I sure can't hang around here forever, she thought to herself as the seconds began lengthening into minutes.

[ 08-31-2004 07:03 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Minna Manth ]

--------------------

The spy who loves you....

Posts: 108 | From: Drev'starn, Bothawui | Registered: Nov 2002  |  Logged: 205.188.116.198
Minna Manth

The Spy Who Loves You

Member # 388

posted 08-31-2004 06:57 PM     Profile for Minna Manth   Author's Homepage   Email Minna Manth     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Minna waited with growing impatience as the seconds elongated into minutes, and then those minutes began to pile one atop the other. Her hand hovered over her transmitter, ready to relay her hail to the silent escapepod as she wondered to herself just what in all the hells was going on.

Maybe a ship malfunctioned, and an escapepod slipped out of it, she thought to herself as she waited.

Then again, maybe someone is inside, hurt or dying...

Or already dead.

Her hovering hand trembled. Now was not the time to have to deal with this; there was another life on the line, and a helluva lot of credits -- in her favor -- to boot.

Yet she couldn't turn away.

There is a time to kill, and a time to let fate follow upon its own course... and then there is a time to preserve.

Pursing her lips, she re-sent her hail, then proceeded to engage a scan of the ship. Sure as shootin, there was some sort of lifeform within.

Why is he not responding? she wondered, hitting transmit yet another time.

Sensors show he's alive; maybe he's hurt. But who or what is he?

Turning to another portion of her control panel, she then proceeded to run a spec scan on the little pod. Her eyes narrowed to see it was an old Imperial one.

Now she was really in a quandary. The Impys had been good to her in the past; she didn't want to anger them. Would they know if she up and left this pod without offering any assistance?

But I am offering it assistance, she answered herself.

It's not my problem if they don't respond.

She knew the Impys, though. They certainly didn't see things in the same logical manner that the vast majority of the universe did.

The answer popped to her then, one she didn't like, but one she knew she'd have to obey. Sighing then, she moved a hand to another, newly installed panel. There the controls to her new -- if not very powerful -- tractor beam gleamed like liquid silver.

At least it's only an escapepod; I can handle that one, she thought as she let the invisible lines of magnetic force reach out and snag the ominously quiet pod.

I'll tow this somewhere where there is someone else who can deal with it; there are enough peeps hanging in Onderon space, after all....

Satisfied with her resolution, she was reaching for the control that would inform Forbiddance it was now free to continue on its merry way, when another sensor flashed an amber warning. Her hand froze as stiff as the strange essence the sensors were now telling her to be floating in space mere hundreds of kilometers from her current position.

Startled, she sent out yet another scan, and with growing impatience waited for the data to come trickling in.

[ 08-31-2004 07:02 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Minna Manth ]

--------------------

Posts: 108 | From: Drev'starn, Bothawui | Registered: Nov 2002  |  Logged: 152.163.253.7
Minna Manth

The Spy Who Loves You

Member # 388

posted 09-01-2004 06:38 PM     Profile for Minna Manth   Author's Homepage   Email Minna Manth     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Minna sighed with relief as the data resolved itself upon her monitors.

Cometary fragments, whew.

She nodded to herself, relaxing a fraction. All she would have needed at this point would have been another mystery to delay her from her task.

Flipping off the monitor, she turned to the helm, and re-engaged thrusters. Soon she was en route to Onderon space, the escapepod being drawn along in her wake, the hovering group of fragments left far, far behind.

--------------------

Posts: 108 | From: Drev'starn, Bothawui | Registered: Nov 2002  |  Logged: 64.12.116.198
Nefrai Kesh

Member # 554

posted 09-02-2004 02:42 AM     Profile for Nefrai Kesh   Author's Homepage   Email Nefrai Kesh     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
(((Nefrai Kesh clings to the escape pod from, All the Kings Horses, in this forum. Thankyou!)))

--------------------

"I have fought with the shadows on the edge of your vision. I have seen the faces that laugh at you in your nightmares." ~The Inquisition

Posts: 134 | From: | Registered: Jun 2004  |  Logged: 216.160.191.93
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 09-03-2004 08:32 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
((OOC: From All The Kings Horses))

Try as you might, you can hail the willing but a response.. even acknoledgement.. from a failing escape pod was quite the impossible.

Loban himself was curious how he was relayed the message, as which would require some form of Comm System to be performing it's job.. where nothing inside the vessel was.

[ 09-07-2004 06:45 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Loban ]

--------------------

In the absence of light, darkness prevails

Posts: 1163 | From: Ardmore, OK | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 66.119.34.39
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 09-07-2004 07:01 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
The path of Anger and distrust was Loban's calling for much of the past year, remembering this of his past would be difficult to accept.. if the toxins of the terrific poison ever allow him access to the reigons that control his great power.

Humiods, especially homosapiens for that matter, all rely on their emotions and experiences with those emotions. Loban is now to who he was as a computer is to being reformatted.. learning everything over, less the basic internal instincts it needs to survive and adapt.

This was a confusing time, yet the least confused Loban had been in much time.. as he had no choice but to embrace afore mentioned instincts, and figure things out about his past when time was available..

and danger averted..

--------------------

In the absence of light, darkness prevails

Posts: 1163 | From: Ardmore, OK | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 66.119.34.39
Nefrai Kesh

Member # 554

posted 09-07-2004 09:21 PM     Profile for Nefrai Kesh   Author's Homepage   Email Nefrai Kesh     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
(((OCC: Nefrai Kesh enters from: All the Kings Horses, in this forum, thankyou)))
Where is this confounded being taking this scrap heap? This is getting tedious. Kesh thought. I could rip open the pod, but that would kill the occupant, not that it matters, but at this rate, I'm going to get pried off!

--------------------

"I have fought with the shadows on the edge of your vision. I have seen the faces that laugh at you in your nightmares." ~The Inquisition

Minna Manth

The Spy Who Loves You

Member # 388

posted 09-09-2004 07:08 PM     Profile for Minna Manth   Author's Homepage   Email Minna Manth     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Minna yawned and stretched, then gave her chronometer a glance.

Good, she thought to herself as she straightened in her seat.

It's about time for reversion--

It was as if Forbiddance had read her mind. Mere seconds later, and the ship gave a subliminal jerk; the starsmears outside the portals immediately resolved back into tiny and fiercely brilliant motes of light as real space popped back into existence around her.

There, that was painless enough, she mused as she now directed her ship toward a discenable disk glowing several million kilometers ahead.

Hello, beautiful....

Smiling as Forbiddance assured her that they were now heading directly toward Onderon, where an orbit would automatically be implemented, she then directed her focus elsewhere.

I wonder if my buddy back there survived the trip?

This was a real concern for her; she had never towed anything through hyperspace before, and indeed hadn't a real clue as to whether or not it was even physically possible.

I guess I slept through that day of class.

Another smile began curling across her features, then faded as the image of the escapepod popped onto her aft screens.

It looked strangely... fuzzy somehow.

She frowned.

What the-- What happened?

Real concern in her thoughts, she flipped open communication once again.

"Unidentified escapepod, this is Heaven's Forbiddance. I read... something obscuring your hull; scanners are having trouble indentifying it.

"Do you copy, escapepod?"

Sitting back and hoping for some kind of reply, she mulled over where she should go from here.

Obviously it would not be anything close to ethical to just dump this at Onderon now, she thought, utterly dismissing the incongruity of the term "ethical" being alluded to in the same sentence as herself. For when, indeed, were spies ethical in any way, shape or form?

But what to do with the blasted thing. What if there is really someone inside; they might be unconscious or dead, or it might be a simple power problem, maybe their communications is out--?

Pursing her lips in determination, she ran another scan of the escapepod. Results showed it to be as powerless as a womprat held in the claws of a sandcat.

Oh, hell, she thought, now reaching out to her controls.

I can't stay here forever, I gotta get to Dxun!

"Escapepod, this is Forbiddance. If you read, I am releasing you from my tractor; I will send emergency transmissions for your assistance, Heaven's Forbiddance, out."

With that she snipped off the tractor, and sent a heavily encrypted transmission back to the only place she could really think of.

It wouldn't do me very much good to announce myself to the natives now, would it?

"Hornett, this is Heaven's Forbiddance. I have encountered an escapepod, not far from your position; I have taken it with me to my first destination.

"It refuses to respond to hails, and there seems to be a weird coating on it. So if you respond to this, and come for it, please be careful.

"I don't know where the hell it came from to begin with-- but I am squirting coordinates to you.

"Heaven's Forbiddance, out."

Nodding to herself that she had done all she could about the situation, she continued on her way to the mystery-shrouded moon of Dxun.

[ 09-09-2004 07:11 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Minna Manth ]

--------------------

Posts: 108 | From: Drev'starn, Bothawui | Registered: Nov 2002  |  Logged: 205.188.116.198
Terrin's Crew

The Guys

Member # 142

posted 09-11-2004 05:53 PM     Profile for Terrin's Crew   Author's Homepage   Email Terrin's Crew     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
As the Commander's orders instructed, the Communications department of the Hornett relayed Garrison's to Minna Manth the moment the ship reverted to realspace. Along with it, they also sent the ship's new coordinates as they also had been instructed.

Forbiddance this is Hornett. Your message has been recieved, and will be acted upon shortly. I will send a crew out to check on and retreive it, but your warning is also noted and will be taken into utmost consideration.

He paused a moment, then continued with, I am also sending you new coordinates for the Hornett. Circumstances have forced us to jump to hyperspace, however our new location should be well within your reach in the allotted time span which you have. This is Commander Garrison, Hornett out.

--------------------

Crew currently consists of Aaron Barnes, Taylor Garrison, Jasyn Lancaster, and Matt Stanza
"We don't need no stinkin' Jedi!" ~~Jasyn
"Never trust a scoundrel."~~Aaron Barnes

Posts: 302 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: Dec 2001  |  Logged: 68.214.87.148
Minna Manth

The Spy Who Loves You

Member # 388

posted 09-14-2004 06:23 PM     Profile for Minna Manth   Author's Homepage   Email Minna Manth     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Minna nodded to herself as she read the incoming transmission.

Good, she thought to herself as she closed the connection.

The closer they are to me, the better I'll like it. I'm not a bounty hunter, after all; having a Big Brother in one's back pocket can, at times, be a good thing...!

Now she grasped the controls, taking them to manual as the disk of Onderon grew in her screens. Soon it was joined by other smaller ones; one that was particularly dark and green and ominous looking seemed to beckon to her like a black jewel in the night.

Dxun.

Taking a deep breath, she headed right toward that rumor-beset moon, there to find out for herself if indeed there was truth to be found amidst the mystery she expected to find there.

--------------------

Taylor Garrison

Member # 556

posted 09-15-2004 02:33 AM     Profile for Taylor Garrison   Author's Homepage   Email Taylor Garrison     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
(((OCC: This is a portion of the a post from All the King's Horses in this same forum, and on this same date, thank you.)))

Forbiddance, this is Hornett. I have decided to bring my entire ship out to the site where you have left the escape pod, but we will be ten degrees out on both the x and y axis from the pod's actual location for our safety. Just wanted to keep you updated, and I will continue to do so if there is any further change. Hornett out.

Posts: 57 | From: On the Hornett... | Registered: Jun 2004  |  Logged: 68.214.87.148
Taylor Garrison

Member # 556

posted 09-22-2004 03:34 AM     Profile for Taylor Garrison   Author's Homepage   Email Taylor Garrison     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
(((OCC: Taylor and the Hornett enter from All the King's Horses in this same forum, thank you.)))

As the Hornett reverted to realspace in Onderon territory, Commander Taylor Garrison, who was now on the main command deck, turned to Shawn Petrolu.

"Do you sense him?" he question the Jedi, then fell silent.

The Jedi stood in quiet introspection for a moment, then nodded. And this was all the cue that Taylor Garrison needed. Raising his wristcomm to his lips, he called for engineering. "Release the charged escape pod, and then focus our tractor beam on the escape pod 10 degrees from us. Precision is the key to this, the electricity from the tractor beam should knock Kesh off the Pod he is currently on and cause him to cling to the charged escape pod via statics electricity."

"We're on it sir," came the crisp reply from engineering. In moments the charged pod had been released, and the tractor beam, which had been warming in their final stages of reversion from hyperspace, was activated. As predicted, the strange coating on Loban Kenobi's escape pod flew off, immediately flying and clinging to the charged pod. Thus it was that Kenobi's pod was safely tractored into the main hanger bay of the Hornett while Nefrai Kesh found himself statically clinging to the outer hull of the empty escape pod.

Taylor Garrison waited for the crewmen in the hanger bay to confirm the berthing of Kenobi's escape pod.

"Sir," his comm finally crackled, "We have it."

"Very good."

Closing the comm connection at that, Taylor looked to Petrolu, the question readable in his eyes. "Kesh is still out there, and not on the Hornett," Shawn confirmed.

Taylor nodded, then rose his wristcomm to his lips once more. "Engineering, have you calculated a jump?"

"Yes sir."

"Hyperspace jump on my mark. 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, mark."

No sooner had the words been spoken did the Hornett glide smoothly into hyperspace once more, leaving behind an empty escape pod with a strange and somewhat fuzzy looking outer coating...

(((OCC: Follow Taylor and all on the Hornett to On a Wing and a Prayer in this same forum, thank you.)))

[ 10-16-2004 03:42 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Taylor Garrison ]

Posts: 57 | From: On the Hornett... | Registered: Jun 2004  |  Logged: 68.214.87.148
Nefrai Kesh

Member # 554

posted 09-22-2004 03:44 AM     Profile for Nefrai Kesh   Author's Homepage   Email Nefrai Kesh     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Kesh almost screamed. In his near frozen state, he had no power against them as they tore his only hope away. But I am immortal..... Will this just be another long time of seclusion?

He slowly, agonisingly slowly, began to reach for the pod hatch, and after a few minutes, reached it, and opened it. He pulled himself in, and slowly shut it. The minutes ticked by, and he began to feel himself become normal. He attempted to amuse himself by watching the readouts on the pod sensors, but soon lost interest.

Now, all he could do is wait. And wait he would. However, the system computer suddenly bleeped, and he felt the pod move. Suddenly, its engines ignited, and was rocketing for some planet or moon that he could not identify.

I will find a way out of my prison, and I will seek vengeance in any way I can.

[ 09-23-2004 02:20 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Nefrai Kesh ]

--------------------

Minna Manth

The Spy Who Loves You

Member # 388

posted 10-17-2004 06:27 PM     Profile for Minna Manth   Author's Homepage   Email Minna Manth     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Minna sat unmoving at the helm of her ship, her focus intent upon the readouts her scanner and sensors were now displaying. So far in all directions nothing was reported but jungle and more jungle and even yet more jungle, with myriad unguessable lifeform blips scattered throughout.

She frowned to herself, watching as yet two more of the lifeform indicators merged, a pair of glowing blue dots which before her eyes resolved into one. After a moment that dot moved away from its position and off her screen; she shifted in her seat, almost hearing the sounds of crashing and roaring and tearing as one of the moon's inhabitants took its prey and disappeared with it.

After a bit she huffed a breath of air, puffing out her cheeks, and leaned forward. The sensor readout screen darkened in reply, as did the look in her eyes.

Ok, Minna; you knew there were beasties here. There's been enough rumors of this system to keep Jabba himself happy for at least an hour or two...

All you have to do, ol' girl, is make your way through them and that infernal jungle out there, find anything leftover of Mandalorian descent -- it's gotta be here, it's just GOTTA! -- and go from there.

There was a war here, years ago. Bodies will decay... Mandalorian equipment does not. Those Mandalorians were well provided with, that's what you've heard, right? Everything from needler darts to rocket packs to impervious armor to a full-scale first aid pack.

They traveled fast and far, and would undoubtedly have a broad-spectrum antibiotic or vaccine on them, wouldn't they? I mean, as far as logic goes, wouldn't these guys carry the antidote to the poison they used against others, on the slim chance that someone might get their hands on their handiwork and try to use it against them? Well, wouldn't they? You'd think that would be a part of the armament their warriors carried, wouldn't you?

And okay, so time has passed. Materials of organic origin does fall apart over time but if so, even if the stuff has degraded as probability would predict, wouldn't modern med-techs be able to use what you little remnants you find and bring them, extrapolate backward, and recreate the antidote? Assuming they had an antidote....

This is where the trail has led you. Now is the time to tread upon it.

She nodded in partial agreement with herself, but mostly to bolster her suddenly fading courage. The plan seemed so hale and whole when she had first thought of it, safe within the confines of her ship and lightyears away from this rumor-beset blight upon the universe. But now--

She shook away a rising ripple of fear and went to find what weaponry she might have aboard. Then, armed with a simple blaster, a net-gun, a vibro-blade, med-kit and handheld scanner, and wearing a face-obscuring visored helmet of her own, she proceeded to depart from her ship.

The hatch made a solid and not very reassuring whish as it closed behind her. She stood at the base of the gangway, scanning about her. Everywhere, solid blue blips, some colliding, some in seeming pursuit of each other.

She raised her head and stared at the trees ringing the little clearing she had found. Those trees waved their branches, seeming to greet her and invite her to come in to the shelter they provided.

She snapped her scanner closed and belted it. Then, blaster in hand, she entered into the jungle of Dxun, hunting for the remnants of one of the galaxy's most terrifying occupants, in the hopes of coming through with her end of the bargain she had struck with Eagle Enterprises.

[ 10-17-2004 06:40 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Minna Manth ]

--------------------

Posts: 108 | From: Drev'starn, Bothawui | Registered: Nov 2002  |  Logged: 65.101.171.87
Nefrai Kesh

Member # 554

posted 10-17-2004 07:14 PM     Profile for Nefrai Kesh   Author's Homepage   Email Nefrai Kesh     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
As the escapepod rocketed towards the planet Kesh knew not off, he did not realize he might find salvation there.

The pod smashed through the atmosphere, a loud whistling sound comming as it plummeted, leaving a black smoke trail as it scorched its way through the sky.

Suddenly, the pod was silent for a moment, then it smashed through the toplayer of trees, to impact. Hard.

Kesh was thrown inside the pod, and smashed into the navigation controls, crushing them into uselessness as his claws raked across the various screens.

He lay there for a few minutes, recovering after the pod halted, half buried in the soft soil of the planet. He finally got up, and ripped open the hatch. Acursed craft, it is useless. He got out, and looked around that the place he had landed.

He raised his head, and let out a ear shattering, soul rending bay of agony, as he realized that of all the pathetic places he could have landed, he'd landed on one he had almost no chance of escaping.

Finally, the bay stopped, and he jumped off the pod. I will have to wait, or find some form of way to get off this planet. He thought. He walked for a ways, observing the natural environment, when suddenly, his foot hit something hard. He looked down, to see the burnt out shell of some ancient warrior in armor. Mayhaps this place was once inhabited. He thought, kicking over the mandelorian warrior, and continuing through what he soon found to be the wreckage of a long forgotten battlefield.

--------------------

Posts: 134 | From: | Registered: Jun 2004  |  Logged: 63.231.89.224
Minna Manth

The Spy Who Loves You

Member # 388

posted 10-17-2004 07:51 PM     Profile for Minna Manth   Author's Homepage   Email Minna Manth     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Minna crept through the jungle's understory with all the considerable stealth at her disposal, blaster poised to fry whatever creature who might come leaping out at her at any given time, scanner held out in her other hand and leading the way. Time moved onward, bit by bit, and as the light grew dimmer about her and the shadows lengthened and wrapped themselves about the fading rays of sunlight the growls and snarls and distant crashes grew even louder, closer, more distinct.

Feeding time at the zoo, she thought to herself as she plastered herself against the rough bark of a towering tree, holding her breath and remaining as still as stone while she perused the readouts on her scanner.

More and more blue blips danced a minuet upon it, colliding and separating like errant electrons caught within a cloud of probability.

And it's probably time to get going now; hiding here isn't getting me any closer to finding what I need and getting the hell out of here.

She heaved a sigh geared toward bolstering her fluttering courage.

Dammit Minna, what were you thinking? Landing so close to the terminator, how stupid--

A twig snapped, somewhere nearby.

She froze, instantly becoming one with the jungle, a tiny shadow standing, ninja-like, amongst the growth of others.

Long moments passed. Nothing happened.

She let out her breath softly and continued onward, making certain that her footfall was as light as a flutterby's breath.

That light tread did her no good, however, when it came down on what appeared to be normal duff-strewn ground but in fact was the edge of an ancient and now heavily vegetated crater, one of the many remnants of the war that had occurred here untold years ago.

She let out a reflexive yip and rolled down the walls of the crater, coming to a halt against a green sapling now growing where the slope flattened out. For a moment she just sat there, shaking her head and getting her bearings back, then got to her feet.

A stab of pain raced from her ankle to her brain, shouting for all it was worth.

Oh great, that's just peachy!

Sitting down again, she quickly removed her boot and stared at her foot. The ankle was a cheery red, swelling even as she looked. Holding her breath, she ventured to carefully wiggle her toes, and when they responded, her foot as well.

It obeyed her, but not without yelling in protest.

Ok, so it's not broken, that's good. Probably wrenched.

Nodding in relief, she went to her med-kit and produced some support clings. This she wrapped about her ankle and the arch of her foot, until the unit was stabilized. It only whimpered in affrontery when she clambered once more to her feet, and then settled down to a steady grumble.

I can walk, thank the gods. Just not very fast, dammit. Oh well, you're a spy, aren't you? Spies move best slowly, right?

Right. Yeah, right.

Sighing a bit and berating herself for her clumsiness, she tied the boot to her belt. Then she maneuvered carefully from the crater -- no mean feat, that -- and continued on her way through the by now nearly completely dark jungle.

[ 10-17-2004 07:53 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Minna Manth ]

--------------------

Posts: 108 | From: Drev'starn, Bothawui | Registered: Nov 2002  |  Logged: 65.101.171.87
Nefrai Kesh

Member # 554

posted 10-18-2004 03:05 AM     Profile for Nefrai Kesh   Author's Homepage   Email Nefrai Kesh     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Kesh continued on his way, moving through the trees and noting that for some reason, the local predators seemed to avoid him. With the uncolonised state of the area, he would have thought they'd have tried to eat him already. They would have much difficulty with that feat.

He continued moving along the direction he had held. He moved, then realized that the ground he stood on was not stable, as it gave away, sending him sliding down the large bowl of some form of crater. He clawed at the dirt as he continued sliding, the brush whiping at him as he passed. He gave up on using his normal form, and began to revert to his bipedal state, with extreme difficulty as he bumped his way down.

He finally managed to complete his shift, and as he neared a small tree, he wrapped his claws around its narrow trunk, spinning him 360 degrees around it. He came to a stop, and looked around. He realized he had slid roughly a few hundred feet down the crater, and looked up at his torn path down the side.

He took a large sniff at the surrounding air, and was suprised to scent... Ion trail? But what could cause it? He listened for the whine of an engine, or sound of a speeder, but was rewarded with a different sound.

Roughly a few dozen meters away, he could hear something moving clumsily for a predatorial standard, through the brush. It was moving slowly, in a pathetic attempt at stealth. Could they possibly be mappers? But they would go in larger force than one single person would they not?

He began creeping through the brush, his chest mere inches above the grassy floor of the planet. But should they prove friend or foe, that I do not know as of yet. He thought as he stalked ever closer.

--------------------

Minna Manth

The Spy Who Loves You

Member # 388

posted 10-20-2004 04:28 AM     Profile for Minna Manth   Author's Homepage   Email Minna Manth     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Minna limped through the jungle's overbearing growth to the best of her ability, berating herself for her clumsiness every halting step of the way.

Some spy you are, Minna! she grumbled to herself as she moved along, trying to remain as quiet as she possibly could and knowing full well that she was falling far below her normal standards in that department.

You might as well just hang up your credentials and call it quits after this, if you manage at all to get off of this hell-forsaken greenhouse!

She continued in this manner for a bit, and then paused to take a short rest. Her ankle, while indeed not broken, was very much sprained, and the stress of forced movement was taking more out of her than she originally thought it would.

I'm gonna find a leftover Mandalorian if it kills me, and then I'm history. I'm taking the credits and retiring to that nice little planet out in the Outer Rim, where people can still buy land for a song and can live out a quiet life alone if they want--

A sudden noise cut off her thoughts in mid word: somewhere, another twig snapped.

Catching her lip in order to slow down her tortured breathing -- yes, it was beginning to really hurt like hell to keep moving as she was! -- she snapped open her scanner and cast it about herself.

Strangely enough, there were no blue blips anywhere around.

Anywhere.

The hairs on the back of her neck rose up at this discrepency. Quickly replacing the scanner with the vibro-blade, blaster clenched tight and ready in the other, she crouched and peered about herself.

Nothing but jungle... one strangely silent and suddenly bereft of living things.

"Is- is there anybody there?" she called out in a low whisper, feeling only slightly ridiculous for doing so.

For inexplicably she simply knew she was being stalked... by some..thing.

By what, and for what purpose, she hadn't a clue. Breathlessly alert, she hunkered even closer to the ground, inching over to protect her back by adhering it to a nearby tree, and stood waiting to see if anyone... or anything... would come.

--------------------

Nefrai Kesh

Member # 554

posted 10-21-2004 01:03 AM     Profile for Nefrai Kesh   Author's Homepage   Email Nefrai Kesh     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Kesh stalked closer, and could hear the faint hum of an energy cell. Definately something sentient. He came to a bush, and observed the being across the small space between them. He noted the vibroblade, and made a mental note not to fall victim to it.

He decided to take a direct approach, and came out of the bushes, still in bipedal form. He began to shift to humanoid form, and could only hope she would not panic or flee.

--------------------

Minna Manth

The Spy Who Loves You

Member # 388

posted 10-22-2004 02:25 AM     Profile for Minna Manth   Author's Homepage   Email Minna Manth     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Panic rose in Minna's throat in a great and sour upsurge, and she would have fled on the spot if she had been able to do so.

Unfortunately, she was in no position to flee, not with her ankle as it was; cursing inwardly yet again for placing herself in this predicament, she shrank further back against the tree.

She clutched her weapons like twin lifelines, her knuckles white, rough bark raking her back.

"Wh- who are you?" she whispered, staring wide-eyed at the shadow which bit by bit began to take on solid form right in front of her. Whether he responded, she couldn't honestly say for the drumlike, staccato beating of her own heart, now filling her ears to the exclusion of nearly everything else that surrounded her.

--------------------

Nefrai Kesh

Member # 554

posted 10-22-2004 03:31 AM     Profile for Nefrai Kesh   Author's Homepage   Email Nefrai Kesh     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Nefrai Kesh reasumed humainoid form, and wished he did not bear the Corellian Sandpanther mask he wore. "Please, I beg of you, do not flee, and do not fear me. Reguardless of what you may think, I beseach you to let me come with you. I will help you as best I can, but do not leave me on this hell forsaken rock."

He held out a clawed hand to her. "Please."

--------------------

Minna Manth

The Spy Who Loves You

Member # 388

posted 10-26-2004 03:35 AM     Profile for Minna Manth   Author's Homepage   Email Minna Manth     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
"Come let me help you...?"

Now, what was wrong with this picture?

Minna pressed herself harder against the tree she had backed up to, feeling even more vulnerable than she did before. She increased her hold upon her weapons to a point that the only reason the grips of the vibro-blade and blaster didn't shatter was simply due to the fact that their innate strengths were far greater than that provided by her relatively weak muscles. There seemed to be something about this stranger, some weird aura he seemed to exude, which whispered mockingly to her that she might just as well put them down, they wouldn't do her a lick of good, he could be on top of her and casually slitting her throat before she could begin to think of applying pressure to the trigger....

She gulped, fighting a losing battle with panic.

"Wh- wha' makes you think I need any help?" she said in a dry whisper, knowing even as she spoke how obviously ridiculous that statement was. If only because of the obvious state of her ankle; trying to pretend all was right with her little world she made the attempt to stand fully upright upon it, and nearly fell to the forest floor for her efforts.

[ 10-26-2004 03:41 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Minna Manth ]

--------------------

Nefrai Kesh

Member # 554

posted 10-26-2004 03:40 AM     Profile for Nefrai Kesh   Author's Homepage   Email Nefrai Kesh     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
"I know you fear me, for it was part of my purpose to be feared, as it my existence. However, I have no ability to leave this planet, and no will to slay any more. I know you need help, you are injured. But I once again, will ask for your help."

He said this, kneeling before her, his eyeless sockets watching her.

--------------------

Minna Manth

The Spy Who Loves You

Member # 388

posted 10-26-2004 03:51 AM     Profile for Minna Manth   Author's Homepage   Email Minna Manth     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
She shivered, knowing full well that the only true defense she might have against this strange and dark one would be her wits.

Said wits which she now struggled to keep about her.

"What guarantee do I have that you will not harm me?" she finally asked, letting her voice strengthen a bit in timbre and leaning to relieve her injured ankle of the weight she had just tried to put upon it.

"And who are you, anyway?"

--------------------

Nefrai Kesh

Member # 554

posted 10-26-2004 03:56 AM     Profile for Nefrai Kesh   Author's Homepage   Email Nefrai Kesh     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
"I can only give you my word. I am Nefrai Kesh. I can only hope you will trust me." He said, his head still bowed. "But please tell me, why have you come to this place? I see no reason anyone would come to such a hellish jungle."

He stood, retracting his claws and trying to make himself as unintimidating as he possibly could.

--------------------

All times are CT
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05