my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
»  The Holonet Boards   » Role Playing   » Jedi Praxeum & Sith Temple   » ...Where the Brave Dare Not Go (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Printable Version
Author Topic: ...Where the Brave Dare Not Go
Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 08-25-2004 05:02 PM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I shook my head absently, still mulling over all that had been said up to this point.

"I really don't know," I finally said as I turned from Shayla back to Big Red.

"I know this thing somehow makes us invisible to the naked eye, I think by bending light or something."

I frowned, trying to remember the physics that father had taught to Jharmeen and I in those earlier, wonderful days before we had found that hidden hanger on whateverthehell the planet was, although I had my suspicions about that too....

Oh dear Khaandon; has it really been four years?

I flung that train of thought from my mind as if it was a flaming brand.

Not now, not now... Galen ol' girl, suck it up; you're a tough one, didn't Sorben always say so? Look what you've gone through, and you're still standing, right?

"Anyway, I don't know if it would work against the Sith. They did, after all, create the thing, didn't they. It would probably stand to reason that they would likewise have defenses against their own weaponry and devices; besides, even the Impys could scan through the invisibility shield.

"It only bends light around the wearer -- I think."

I fell silent with that, and let my thoughts begin drifting back to the question of whether or not the blue-eyed young woman back on K'eel Doba was in fact my daughter or not.

--------------------

"Sure as there is Treasure on Roon...."

Posts: 1455 | From: | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.116.198
Panthar Dantares

Super Dooper Member

Member # 494

posted 08-25-2004 05:21 PM     Profile for Panthar Dantares   Author's Homepage   Email Panthar Dantares     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
“Oh well,” sighed Panthar. “It was a nice thought. Oh, what the heck, we’ll think of something. Everything works if you let it, you know. We still need to find Shayla’s buds, then we can boogie on back and find this young lady.”

He smiled genuinely at Galen and let his eyes sparkle in her direction for a moment. He then cocked his head and spoke aloud to anyone who would listen.

“Hey, how long now until we get there? And once we find these guys, where will they sit?”

He smiled again and winked at Galen. “I guess to make room you can sit on my lap, or vice versa.”

--------------------

All I wanted was my name in a book...

Posts: 573 | From: North Liberty, IA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  Logged: 165.206.168.28
Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 08-25-2004 05:57 PM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Whatever rising feelings of comradeship and warmth I had started to feel toward Big Red promptly evaporated at that blithely incongruous statement. Somewhere behind my eyes a door slammed shut, cleanly blocking any light and warmth of my own.

The look I gave him could freeze Sullust.

"This is no time to joke, buster," I finally seethed, now fighting the rise of anger.

Hold it in, Galen... let it stew. You're gonna need that....

"Anything having to do with Korriban -- anything at all! -- is no laughing matter. Certainly nothing to make light of.

"But then... you've never been there. You wouldn't know."

I let the atmosphere thaw a fraction with that small concession, then rose to my feet.

"Let me know when we get to Korriban," I called to Shayla. Then I turned from Red altogether and went back to my exercises.

I don't care if he said he saw Roan dead. I'm not gonna be happy until we've hit dirt, found the guys, and skyed outta there...

...to the tune of a couple three, four lightyears or so....

[ 08-25-2004 05:58 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Galen ]

--------------------

Panthar Dantares

Super Dooper Member

Member # 494

posted 08-27-2004 05:13 AM     Profile for Panthar Dantares   Author's Homepage   Email Panthar Dantares     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Hmmm, Panthar thought. Note to one’s self, this one has no sense of humor. But she’s been through a lot, and will probably be through a lot more yet to come.

But still, sheesh. Sure, it’s a serious situation. But a little light-heartedness goes a long way to easing some of the pressure.

Let it go.

“Nope, never been there. And I don’t intend to stay long there when I visit. But I do know we have a space issue here, and we’ll be adding more people. I wonder what supplies we have? I mean, they will probably need water.”

He sat back and waited for something besides the cold silence to answer him. Impatient, he broke the silence himself.

“And to hell with not laughing. Yes, it’s a serious matter, but we can stay focused AND keep spirits up at the same time. Without that, we might as well be sitting around with old sullen Aalvedaar plotting up ways to take over the galaxy. Or traipse the stars with Phal sulking about how the fates conspire to keep us from getting laid. Well, I am sorry. I will do everything in my power to help you, and then some, but I am not some stupid humorless Sith expecting the galaxy to worship my red ass. I’m just a guy who wants to help, and humor is one of my weapons.”

--------------------

Posts: 573 | From: North Liberty, IA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  Logged: 65.103.180.182
Galen

Free Spirit

Member # 28

posted 08-27-2004 08:33 PM     Profile for Galen   Author's Homepage   Email Galen     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I kept right on seething until, like an overheated pressure cooker, I couldn't contain myself any longer.

"Humor?" I burst out with, stopping in mid-kick and turning back to him.

"As a weapon?!?

I shook my head, snorting.

"Buddy, do you have to have your eyes opened! All humor is gonna get you on this little venture is a fast lane to an early grave, trust me.

"But if you think you can somehow use it to race in and save the day, how in all the galaxy I'll never know, well then...

"Feel free to do so."

I leveled another blazing look into his widening eyes, and then resumed my exercising with a savagery that was really quite surprising.

--------------------

Panthar Dantares

Super Dooper Member

Member # 494

posted 08-27-2004 09:10 PM     Profile for Panthar Dantares   Author's Homepage   Email Panthar Dantares     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
“Thank you, I will,” said Panthar lightly. “Well, at least it got you up and moving, anyway. Hey, save some of that for the bad guys.”

He picked up the log book and began thumbing through it once again.

I didn’t deserve that. Oh well, no skin off my back, if she wants to be a stone wall. A stone wall with a hair-trigger temper. Better remember that, dude.

He turned once again to the page with the entry for Korriban. He smiled slightly in amazement as the once-strange symbols now made perfect sense, once again remembering that he could now read Sith.

Better learn everything I can about this planet.

Panthar read the log entry for Korriban, a planet as dry as the author of the log. The statistical numbers of moisture levels, atmospheric conditions at various locations, gravitational analysis, mineralogy, all danced before his eyes.

Sheesh, don’t give me this stuff. Give me something interesting, like the history of the planet, the people.

Tired, he shut the book again.

“Oh, how much longer can it be?”

[ 08-27-2004 09:10 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Panthar Dantares ]

--------------------

Posts: 573 | From: North Liberty, IA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  Logged: 165.206.168.29
Shayla Stargazer Petrolu

Adept

Member # 123

posted 08-28-2004 07:09 PM     Profile for Shayla Stargazer Petrolu   Author's Homepage   Email Shayla Stargazer Petrolu     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
"Reversion is coming up soon, keep your robes on," Shayla said, turning to Panthar and at last breaking her silence. Although she had been fairly quiet throughout Panthar and Galen's most recent exchange, she HAD been listening intently. "And I'm less concerned about our possible...

..."space" issues than I am about the welfare of Jasyn and Matt. It's been quite some time since I left them waiting back there on Korriban, and even if they use underground sources for water or go back to the Kaminoan hideout we found to get more water and nourishment, conditions will still be bad for them. I do have my healing abilities, if they are required...

...but I certainly hope they are not."

Shayla paused, glancing to Galen then turning back to the navboard. About that time a sigil began to flicker red.

"We're ready to revert," Shayla said, looking over her shoulder momentarily. "You may want to sit down and strap in...

...and for at least your safety you may want to turn your Sith belt on, Galen."

With no further ado than that, Shayla turned her attentions completely to the navboard, hitting the glowing red sigil. The mysterious wonder which was the star-streaks of hyperspace almost immediately cleared, and as Shayla reached out her senses picked up on the two links she had created; one with Jasyn Lancaster and one with Matt Stanza.

"The links I made with the two men are still intact...

...which means they are at the very least still alive," Shayla stated aloud, some relief evident in her words. "What their condition is, I don't know however."

Shayla reached out to the navboard once more. "We'd better hit some atmosphere and get to them, now."

(((OCC: Follow Shayla et al into In the Desert of the Dark in this same forum, thank you.)))

[ 08-29-2004 01:51 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Shayla Stargazer Petrolu ]

--------------------

"Small minds think in small terms!"
~~CMH~~
(I am NOT turning to the Darkside...)

Posts: 1711 | From: see Mara1Jade | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 68.214.87.148

All times are CT
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05