my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Announcements   » The Holonet Boards   » ADIOS, AMIGOS!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: ADIOS, AMIGOS!
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 07-02-2007 10:24 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, just wanted to make an announcement that tomorrow I am leaving to go on vacation. BACK TO WUNNERFUL, WUNNERFUL COZUMEL!!! I'll get back the weekend of July 14-15.

Mara keep things running; we are supposed to have a computer in the lobby of the hotel so maybe once in awhile I'll be able to get online.

ADIOS!

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.116.197
Freedon Naad

Sith Sorcerer Extrodinaire

Member # 321

posted 07-02-2007 11:41 PM     Profile for Freedon Naad   Author's Homepage   Email Freedon Naad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Congrats you shall be missed for the next two weeks. Where is Cozumel? Take care and all that. have fun etc. Let us know how it goes.

--------------------

I am NOT a stone!

Posts: 119 | From: NYC | Registered: Aug 2002  |  Logged: 66.108.214.50
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 07-03-2007 11:02 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Cozumel is a tiny island in the Caribbean off the Yucatan peninsula in Mexico. It's the BEST place EVER for snorkeling, and I've had more than one person tell me that.

I've only snorkeled in Hawaii otherwise, haven't hit Bahamas or Australia... but who wants to go into the water in Australia what with all the "whities" out there, hee hee.

Anyhoo, that's where it is, surf around for webcam, Cozumel, some guy has one up at all time aimed (boring) at a pier where cruise ships come dock, so if you'd like to see at least the blue sky and blue water, do so!

Hurricane Wilma came and sat on Cozumel two years ago, and stayed there for three days, so the coral was pretty sad last year when I went -- although there was one little place protected by some rocks that still had great corals. I'm anxious to see how much has come back, and how much of the plant life has replenished over this last year as well!

GOTTA GO OUT THE DOOR -- NOW!

Bye, all!

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.116.197
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 07-03-2007 09:55 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Howdy! I'm in a Travelodge in Platte City, MO. About 5 miles from KCI Airport.

Just saying "howdy!"

If anyone EVER happens to pass through Bethany, MO, eat at Toot-Toots. BEST BUFFET EVER.

Hasta luego!

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 208.192.69.33
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 07-04-2007 06:06 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
HOLA! Yo estoy en Cozumel!!!

((AND YOU´RE NOT!!))

OFF TO BOB MARLEY´S!!

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 189.149.91.2
patternghost

Ghostly, just ghostly

Member # 477

posted 07-05-2007 07:50 AM     Profile for patternghost   Author's Homepage   Email patternghost     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh yes I am!

--------------------

When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there

Posts: 261 | From: North Liberty, IA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  Logged: 189.149.91.2
Freedon Naad

Sith Sorcerer Extrodinaire

Member # 321

posted 07-06-2007 10:45 AM     Profile for Freedon Naad   Author's Homepage   Email Freedon Naad     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well enjoy the sand and surf... and also the company of the ghost of a dead jamaican pop singer presumably. I'm jealous

--------------------

I am NOT a stone!

Posts: 119 | From: NYC | Registered: Aug 2002  |  Logged: 66.108.214.50
Mara1Jade

Expanded Universe Goddess and Corran Obsessor

Member # 68

posted 07-06-2007 12:43 PM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have sand and surf too, sniff sniff. Just not in Cozumel. Peace, love, happiness, and all that good Bob Marley stuff to you as you vacation however.

Shayla is going to do her demonic dance in your absence...

*snickers and fades out*

--------------------

Small minds think in small terms!
~~CMH, creator and writer of Shayla Petrolu, Erik Kartan, Shawn Petrolu, Terrin Danner, Jasyn Lancaster, Matt Stanza, Aaron Barnes, And Taylor Garrison~~

Posts: 972 | From: Jacksonville, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 66.177.72.13
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 07-06-2007 07:39 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hola again!

OOOH HAD TO TELL YOU GUYS WHAT WE SIGNED UP TO DO MONDAY NIGHT!!! From 9PM-3AM we´re going to be out with a biologist (they allow 15 people) to assist with SEA TURTLE stuff: measure them, find nests they put too close to the sea so dig ´em a new hole and move the eggs from the old one to the other one, check out the general health and well-being of the turtles, whatever it is that turtle biologists do. These turtles are on the endangered species list, and Cozumel is very proud of their turtles -- they come here to lay their eggs. Last year we saw sticks on certain beaches which marked turtle nests, and we saw turtle tracks on the sand.

This year we get to hands-on deal with the turtles themselves!

I can hardly wait!

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 189.149.91.2
Dash Kelderon

On the Road to Redemption

Member # 427

posted 07-07-2007 05:53 AM     Profile for Dash Kelderon   Author's Homepage   Email Dash Kelderon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That sounds soo cool! My 4 year old son would LOOOOOOVE that! He knows more about animals than most adults do!

He has a list of Marsupials and a list of animals that are nocturnal. And he knows what animals live in each continent and what type of environment they live in. It's pretty awesome!

And to think it all stemmed from starting him young with a TY Beanie Babies collection. He now has over 400 animals in his collection. It's funny... he knows what the animals are AND the names that TY gave them all. I don't know how he remembers all that stuff.

--------------------

Those 2 guys may be IDIOTS... but they think the same way I do!

Posts: 655 | From: M.I,A | Registered: Feb 2003  |  Logged: 156.34.194.242
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 07-07-2007 08:56 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That is sooooo great, Dash! Maybe he´ll grow up to be a marine biologist, or field biologist or something.

Well, we´ve snorkeled two places so far: at Las Piratas and Zool Xa. (I´m not certain how you spell the last one, it was called "Zool Ha" for years and years, this year the little beach establishment is now the "Money Bar" but everyone still calls the place by its old Maya name) -- anyway, we snorkeled both places. Piratas didn´t have much; Hurricane Wilma really wrecked up the coral when she sat on top of Cozumel for THREE days two years ago. But Zool Xa is coming back, bit by bit; not so much coral, of course, as that takes A LONG TIME to grow. But there are more sea fans and things like that, and the invertebrates are more prevalent. More tube worms and anenomes and urchins everywhere, and tons of different sea snails (we call ´em "sea shells" when they die, and collect them, hee hee, but they´re actually various sea snails -- that is unless they´re bivalves like clams or oysters or scallops). Anyway I saw a bunch of different kinds crawling all over, and lots of fish. No barracuda yet, but we saw a scorpionfish, and several flounders, and lots of parrotfish and angelfish and others I´d have to go look up in the book we brought.

It´s cool: they´ve put up those man-made habitats that are made out of recycled stuff. They just stick them down on the floor of the sea and let the sea critters start growing all over it. It encourages the regrowth of all the stuff that lives off coral, while they´re waiting for coral to regrow. So you snorkel along and look for these funny bell-shaped things with holes in them, and there´s usually fish of some kind hanging around. Most of them seem to hang near the purple sea fans, though.

Today we´re going to the south end of the island to meet with a friend we met last year. He is going to take us to a little reef he knows of to see what fish are there. Since it´s on the south end, he said we might get lucky and see a sea turtle swimming along, which would be great. The only thing that is a little scary is that this is the southend, so beyond there is just the open Caribbean, which is pretty big and powerful and has mako sharks in it!

So here´s hoping we don´t become shark bait!

OK, more later if I survive today... HAH.

And Mara, when are you going to start having Shayla do her evil dance thing? They close up the computer at 11PM here, and we´re usually out of the hotel ALL DAY LONG and past dinnertime, and during the peak time to get on and post someone else is usually using this, so I dunno when we´ll be posting. Maybe in the afternoon on Monday, depends on how much sun we get between now and then. We might be needing a day out of it!

[ 07-07-2007 08:59 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 189.149.99.153
Mara1Jade

Expanded Universe Goddess and Corran Obsessor

Member # 68

posted 07-07-2007 09:09 AM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Glad you are enjoying the trip, I don't think I could deal with snorkeling and being surrounded by that much water! And Dash, kids have AMAZING memories. I've worked with 2s, 3s, 4s, and 5s for several years, and even the children I have with autism now remember some of the most interesting things. That's why I love them so much (particular my boys and girl with autism, man, they remember stuff so SPECIFICALLY it's simply astounding.)

And on the writing note, today is my apartment party, so if I do anything today it might not be til late. Most likely I'll try to get something up tomorrow sometime (Sunday).

I've just got to figure out exactly what kind of evil dance I want to pull out of my reperetoire.

*snickers and fades again*

--------------------

Small minds think in small terms!
~~CMH, creator and writer of Shayla Petrolu, Erik Kartan, Shawn Petrolu, Terrin Danner, Jasyn Lancaster, Matt Stanza, Aaron Barnes, And Taylor Garrison~~

Posts: 972 | From: Jacksonville, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 66.177.72.13
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 07-07-2007 08:30 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh, we don´t go out where it´s deep. We look for places near shore where if we want to stop and stand up, we can. Or if we want to head out into the "deep, blue yonder" it remains about 10 feet deep (maybe) for about, ohhhhh, lessee: 100 yards out maybe? So it´s really a great place to snorkel; besides, you can´t sink if you WANT to, the salt water buoys you up! Just put on your mask and snorkel, stick your face into the water, stretch out on your stomach, and you float. Time goes by before you know it, it´s magickal. Today we went beachcombing again, then snorkeled twice, a total maybe of three hours. It was great.

We went to Corona Beach, which was FANTASTICO. Hehe, we found where all the fish live: TONS of sea fans, rock, coral, anenomes, tube worms (we played with them), flounders, lobsters, triggerfish, butterflyfish, parrotfish, grunts, and about a bajillion dudes that looked like 2-inch tetras that just hung around you like a cloud of color. Really, REALLY nice.

We didn´t get out into the special little reef with my friend; that involved swimming out through BREAKERS on the south end of the island, and I didn´t think I could make it. I tried the other day just to play in the surf a little to one side, where there´s sand, and ONE time when the ocean was throwing me back to shore I managed to get on my stomach and body surf in. But I got slam-dunked the other time.

THIS place involved taking off from an itty bitty place where sand stretches out between SHARP ROCKS, so I thought we´d better wait and see if the sea calms down a little more. I´ll still try it, but I was a little leery today.

But the other places were good: the one for the coral and fish, and the other to hunt for shells (Palancar Beach).

Anyway we snorkeled until sunset, which is a really nice time: the colors are splendid and ALL the fish are out feeding. Hehe, I played a game of water-tag with a brown pelican that was diving for his supper right there with us, fun fun fun!

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 189.149.99.153
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 07-11-2007 10:05 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, BOO, we didn't get to do the turtle thing. The island has a new government, freshly elected, and they are at odds with the foundation to preserve the sea turtles and other native flora and fauna. Basically, they close up the south end of the island at night (that's where all the turtles come to lay their eggs) and NO ONE gets to drive there. The Foundation has done this experience before, primarily because they need help with the eggs and such, and they've never had a problem. This time, however, the government said NO.

So we got a refund, GRRR. There's a slight chance we might get to do this Thursday, we're going to find out today.

Anyway, instead we went to Punta Sur and the mangrove swamp and saw some HUMONGOUS crocodiles. I got a really great shot of them, too. We snorkeled out to a reef there that was about 100+ yards out from shore (almost smack at the very tip of the island, so we had to buck the Caribbean there), then swam along the whole reef which was a kilometer long. THEN bucked the current back.

Talk about being tired. Mara, you'd never have made it! But it was awesome, GREAT corals, tons of fish and shells and whatnot. We saw another stingray and a BIG barracuda, almost as long as I am tall, we think.

We've been having fun with our friend Luis, he's taken us to his home and then snorkeling, and he's having fun taking a little vacation from work too.

The other great thing is going to the east side of the island, the "wild side," and go beachcombing there. I found tons of cool shells, little guys for the most part, but really colorful. I did find one absolutely perfect cowrie about 2.5 inches long with no chips or breaks and natural shine, it looks as if I bought it at a shell shop!

Speaking of "shells," while snorkeling yesterday we found a GIGANTIC lobster... HEAD. Just hanging in the water.

I shudder to think what ate HIM!

More later if I can, this computer is at a premium and there's one guy here who's on it ALL the durned time!

Honest, I'll try to post!

Adios again...

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 189.149.107.13
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 07-14-2007 10:26 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, we're packing up for the trip home this afternoon, BOO-HOO, *SOB* Ahh well, all good things must come to an end.

The GREAT news is that yesterday when we were snorkeling for the last day, WE SAW A HAWKSBILL TURTLE. I was snorkeling around a coral-encrusted rock, and BOOM there he was smack-dab in front of me. I floated there, looking at him, and he floated there looking at me.

What was funny was that everyone said you had to be in deep water to see a turtle, and down at the south end of the island where they come up to lay their eggs. This guy was obviously lost, hanging over the rocks right up by the shore near Corona Beach Bar.

Too, too cool.

Well, wish us luck, we fly to Denver and then Kansas City, which is expecting severe thunderstorms tonight when we're getting there, so rah...

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 189.149.107.13
Rykounagin

Son of Conflict

Member # 531

posted 07-14-2007 04:27 PM     Profile for Rykounagin   Author's Homepage   Email Rykounagin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If you get laid over in Denver (due to storms) you should give me a yell!

--------------------

"I'm not afraid to keep on living, I'm not afraid to walk this world alone;" -Black Parade

Posts: 869 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  Logged: 71.218.127.101
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 07-15-2007 04:37 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Luuuuuuucy, I'm hoooooooome....!!!

Hehe... needless to say, we're back. The closest thing we came to a storm was while coming in to Denver; there was a cell literally sitting on top of the airport, and they closed it for a short time until it left. So we circled (probably into Nebraska, hehe) until it moved on, and finally landed okay. Things were clear enough then that our flight to Kansas City was right on time, so we just had the time to clear customs (the fastest and smoothest I've ever cleared them, too), recheck our baggage, get to our gate and board the plane. Our flight to KC was pretty much uneventful... because we DID fly up and across Nebraska and then back down in order to avoid the storm which was headed there. We beat it in, but by the time we got our luggage in KC it was so late we just stayed overnight there, and drove to Iowa today.

Lovely blue skies today too, yay.

We just got in a little bit ago, and now it's rehearsal. (Like I can even BEGIN to think of a line, sheesh!)

Anyhoo, we got home safe and sound, luggage arrived safe and sound, and we had a GREAT TRIP.

I highly recommend Cozumel; we'll probably go back again next year.

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 12.216.67.77
patternghost

Ghostly, just ghostly

Member # 477

posted 07-17-2007 07:40 PM     Profile for patternghost   Author's Homepage   Email patternghost     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I WANNA GO BACK!!!!!!!!!

--------------------

When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there

Posts: 261 | From: North Liberty, IA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  Logged: 172.133.167.142
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-01-2007 04:53 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, here I am AGAIN saying goodbye. I'm taking off for Collinsville, Illinois where the National Science Fiction convention is being held. The play troupe I'm in has been asked to perform, and then I'm in a Masquerade entry as well.

Afterward I'm heading off to Ohio to visit a friend. I'll be coming home sometime Sunday August 12, probably late. We're bringing a laptop, so I will try to hop online every so often. But, as those of you who have gone to conventions know, time is precious and more than likely I won't.

Maybe I'll be able to pop on at my friend's. If not, see you in a week and a half!

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.116.7
Rathal

Member # 220

posted 08-01-2007 10:47 PM     Profile for Rathal   Author's Homepage   Email Rathal     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good luck or... Er... break a leg? I think thats the appropriate theatre term. I don't really know. Anyhow have fun!

--------------------

My Characters: Rathal, Narcolm, Freedon Naad

"You'll never see the end of the road while your traveling with me."

Posts: 127 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 66.108.214.50
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-02-2007 09:04 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks for the send-off, Rathal!

HITTING THE ROAD NOW!

Sayonara!

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 12.216.67.77
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-14-2007 08:46 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Howdy, howdy, I'm back again... for good, now, LOL.

The convention was great: I met the guy who did the voice of Salacious Crumb in EP6, and a guy who makes all the "dead severed zombie heads" and so on that get cut off gushing blood, ooey gooey, LOL; our play went well and the masquerade entry I was in got two awards.

Ohio was fun -- IF HOT AND HUMID. I went to Lake Eerie and found all kinds of cool crane or heron feathers and so on, and learned a LOT from my friend who does ceramics, so Mara I hope to be doing airbrushing sometime in the future!! In Ohio we saw the Perseid Meteor shower -- GREAT, WE SAW A BOLIDE!! and were "in" THREE tornadoes. Ok, so they didn't hit the actual property, but one went right over it, and the other two were close enough to spit on it. ALL THIS IN ONE WEEK.

But I'm back now...

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.117.195

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05