my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Announcements   » The Holonet Boards   » STS-107

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: STS-107
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 02-01-2003 02:45 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It is my hope that I speak on the behalf of every member of these Boards when I extend heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of the crew of STS-107, the space shuttle Columbia. It is also my personal hope that this tragedy will not serve to set back the space program, which inches ever closer to being part of a global effort, one which I hope shall one day help to show the world that unification of all is what we need to survive as a peoples, not of this country or that, but of a planet... which indeed we all are.

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.213.69
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 02-02-2003 01:29 AM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It has been over 10 hours since this post was posted and not a one of you have posted any of your utterances here. I am disgusted. I am appalled.

Do you not understand the impact something of this magnitude could have on the future of NASA? Do you not understand the blow to space exploration if NASA is hurt? Are you a complete idiot?

And possibly more important than that, 7 people died today, doing something that will aid the future of humanity.

May god (if there is one) bless their souls. And may all of you who decided it "just wasn't a big deal" get an extra 1000 years in purgatory.

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 12.220.189.20
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 02-02-2003 02:18 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thank you Anakin, for your humanity.

What many people just don't seem to realize, or perhaps they simply do not care to understand, is that the space program is not something to dismiss lightly. I realize that as time goes on, less and less of our population is interested in science, and only in science fiction or fantasy. (Not many will actually believe what fact-based astronomy tells us of certain things in the universe... yet will fiercely cling to astrological beliefs. Go figure.) Many do not realize the advancements the space program has made for all of us: microwave ovens and teflon are but two which spring to mind; and many people just tuck NASA and all it represents into the back portion of their minds and take them for granted.

Familiarity breeding contempt, perhaps.

The last mission of the Space Shuttle Columbia was one designed for the advancement of humanity. It was purely science-oriented: 16 days in space to perform many experiments and collect data from those experiments. The study of how flame acts in a weightless environment would lead to a better understanding of fires on the earth... and how to better deal with out-of-control canopy forest fires. Other microgravity experiments in cellular growth leading to how to eradicate certain cancers in people. There were others as well.

And much of that data is lost... along with seven human lives.

Seven dedicated people went up knowing the risks involved -- folks, it is NOT as simple as jumping aboard a plane and flying to Chicago! -- people who gave their lives in the advancement of knowledge for all humanity.

It does not matter that "there were only seven people" involved. The tragedy was still enormous. My heart goes out to the NASA family, and to the survivors of those who died yesterday. I can only hope their deaths were swift, and can take some solace in understanding that each and every one of those astronauts died doing what he or she loved doing best.

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.107.31
Mara1Jade

Expanded Universe Goddess and Corran Obsessor

Member # 68

posted 02-03-2003 11:19 PM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Did some of you perhaps consider that some of us don't know WHAT to say? I sat and cried watching the news tonight when they played the tape of the astronauts in space talking about what it meant to them to be there. With 9-11 it was so cut and dried, so very BIG. With this, we're talking about 7 people who, had the mission gone SUCCESSFULLY, none of us would have really even known much about. I for one am sitting back and wondering WHY this is, considering they are doing research that deals with major world issues (cancer, for one). The fact of the matter is that the media doesn't cover this stuff until it turns catastrophic, and it's stuff that SHOULD BE COVERED. Heck, my mom thinks we shouldn't GO INTO SPACE. She has NO IDEA what they are doing up there. It's just a testament to the fact that people don't understand what's going on nor do they know about it.

And neither did I. Did I know seven people were up there testing stuff that had to do with cancer along with other scientific things? No. It's just something I can't put into words, and perhaps many others feel the same.

So don't pass judgement.

--------------------

Small minds think in small terms!
~~CMH, creator and writer of Shayla Petrolu, Erik Kartan, Shawn Petrolu, Terrin Danner, Jasyn Lancaster, Matt Stanza, Aaron Barnes, And Taylor Garrison~~

Posts: 972 | From: Jacksonville, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 65.80.105.138
Taehun

Dark Jedi

Member # 290

posted 02-04-2003 12:40 AM     Profile for Taehun   Author's Homepage   Email Taehun     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It wasn't a lack of feeling at all on my part. I just don't believe that there really is a correct thing to say at times like these, and I know that if I said something it wouldn't have accurately portrayed my feelings.

Twice this has happened. On 9-11 I woke up and turned on the news, only to see the twin towers burning. On Saturday morning the first thing I did was turn on the TV, and the first thing they showed was the shuttle exploding. I later turned it on to see a shot of an astronauts helmet, lying empty on the ground.

Words cannot express the feeling of shock that I have had. I do feel sadness now, but I almost seemed deattached to the whole incident for a while, just because of the shock.

I can only hope that they're in a better place...

--------------------

All in all it was just another brick in the wall,
all in all you were just another brick in the wall.

Posts: 248 | From: USAFA, CO | Registered: Jul 2002  |  Logged: 198.81.18.189
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 02-04-2003 01:20 AM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I didn't even know about this post... I only saw Graysith's post about stepping back for a while, which might have been some peoples' decision as well...(leading to no one posting)

[ 02-04-2003 11:30 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Loban ]

--------------------

In the absence of light, darkness prevails

Posts: 1163 | From: Ardmore, OK | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 66.156.197.106
BobPalpatine

Foo Fighter

Member # 17

posted 02-04-2003 11:33 AM     Profile for BobPalpatine   Author's Homepage   Email BobPalpatine     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
This is my first time on the net since it happened. I was going to post something about it, but then I saw Gray had already done it.

I have been keeping the families of Columbia's crew in my prayers, and also the future of NASA. It would be a shame to lose such a great program over a crash. I know that the crew knew what they were going into and that there is always a possibility of something going wrong, but I know that they knew there would be sacrifice for science.

I hope they all had the mission of their life so that they could have ended their life on a great and epic note.

--------------------

"Can't you hear my motored heart? Your the one that started it!"

-Foo Fighters "Generator"

Cogito ergo sum

BobPalpatine
Holonet Admin

Posts: 681 | From: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  Logged: 198.209.26.252
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 02-04-2003 12:19 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I firmly believe that, while terror was there -- hopefully short-lived terror -- ultimately the crew died still loving what they did. I know the entire mission, up until its fatal end, was a success; way more of a success then they had imagined. They were coming back victorious in their discoveries aboard the ISS.

I don't think this is going to stop the space program. Straw polls (at least on aol) are showing nearly 80% of the people participating saying we need to go on. I think we will.

I was reading the Apollo 13 Mission Reports, and it was said that cost of life and materiel can be expected in any relationship with exploration. People get used to the idea that we've been sending shuttles up and down, it's almost like we're blase that "well, we've conquered that part." This still falls under the umbrella heading of "Exploring Terra Incognito" -- ok, so it's not truly "terra." But it's still exploration, and the risks are great. The crew of any shuttle mission have that first and foremost in their minds before they ever leave the earth. The shuttles have flown long and well and have been put to great use; I hope they keep up the idea of the shuttles and figure out a way to make them an even safer means of travel. (Which, due to past funding, they haven't been able to really explore.)

Now I really feel for the astronauts we still have up there in the ISS. While not truly "stuck" there, as they weren't due to come home until March, the wonder is what means they will use. There is a Soyuz craft which they all know how to fly; possibly that will be used.

But I just can't help but think what is going through their minds right now. Can you imagine: being aboard the ISS and then this happens to your "ticket home?" (Although another shuttle was meant to be their retrieval craft.)

My thoughts and prayers for a semblance of peace go out to them and their families as well.

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.107.43
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 02-04-2003 11:20 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I subscribe to "Science At NASA," and when I got home from work tonight, the following email was waiting for me. I thought I'd print it here.

Feb. 4, 2003: At the dawn of the space age some 40 years ago, we always
knew who was orbiting Earth or flying to the Moon. Neil Armstrong, Yuri
Gagarin, John Glenn. They were household names--everywhere.

Lately it’s different. Space flight has become more “routine.” Another
flight of the shuttle. Another visit to the space station. Who’s onboard
this time? Unless you’re a NASA employee or a serious space enthusiast,
you might not know.

Dave Brown, Rick Husband, Laurel Clark, Kalpana Chawla, Michael Anderson,
William McCool, and Ilan Ramon

Now we know. Those are the names of the seven astronauts who were
tragically lost on Saturday, Feb. 1st, when the space shuttle Columbia
(STS-107) broke apart over Texas.

Before the accident, perhaps, they were strangers to you. But if that's
so, why did you have a knot in your gut when you heard the news? What were
those tears all about? Why do you feel so deep-down sad for seven
strangers?

Astronauts have an unaccountable hold on us. They are explorers. Curious,
humorous, serious, daring, careful. Where they go, they go in peace. Every
kid wants to be one. Astronauts are the essence of humanity.

They are not strangers. They are us.

While still in orbit Dave Brown asked, jokingly, “do we really have to
come back?”

No. But we wish you had.

The Science@NASA team, as does all of NASA and the world, extends
heartfelt sympathies to the family, friends and colleagues of the STS-107
crew. Please see the NASA Home Page (http://www.nasa.gov) for more
information on the Columbia Investigation.

--Tony Phillips (author), Ron Koczor, Bryan Walls, Becky Bray, Patrick
Meyer.

---
You are currently subscribed to snglist-aol as: Sithette1@aol.com

[ 02-04-2003 11:23 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.213.52
Mara1Jade

Expanded Universe Goddess and Corran Obsessor

Member # 68

posted 02-05-2003 11:38 PM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thank you for the article, Graysith. I agree it in alot of ways. Our exploration in to space has become so routine it's become commonplace, therefore nobody really seems to know who is up and when. They don't know these astronauts like they did Buzz Aldran (sp?) and Neil Armstrong. It's just not such a "big deal" anymore. But the tragedy is that is IS a big deal. This is still a relatively new thing, this space exploration, and we as citizens of this country should know more about what's going on. So I take this as my cue to keep tabs on this stuff, and not wait for the tragedies to strike. It's a shame it takes something like this to catch our attention.

--------------------

Small minds think in small terms!
~~CMH, creator and writer of Shayla Petrolu, Erik Kartan, Shawn Petrolu, Terrin Danner, Jasyn Lancaster, Matt Stanza, Aaron Barnes, And Taylor Garrison~~

Posts: 972 | From: Jacksonville, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 66.20.159.116
arogers1102

Super Saiyan Jedi

Member # 422

posted 02-07-2003 01:02 AM     Profile for arogers1102   Author's Homepage   Email arogers1102     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I realize I'm new and don't mean to make waves... but I feel that SILENCE is the best way to pay your respects... The time for silence is over now.. and may GOD take all of the Crash Victims into his ETERNAL love and care! AMEN!

--------------------

o{///////0//)={#################################
Which STAR WARS character does GOKU remind you of in my avatar picture???
Anybody picture LUKE in the BACTA tank???

Posts: 105 | From: New Brunswick (eastern CANADA) | Registered: Feb 2003  |  Logged: 24.231.28.200
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 02-07-2003 03:24 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have been doing some research, and I have made a boo-boo. The Columbia did not go to the ISS, as I erroneously believed. They were in a 16-day extended orbit mission; all the science was performed aboard Columbia. They were in an entirely different orbit from ISS (lower, I would guess) and on nearly opposite sides of the earth from each other.

Photos have now been released from military high resolution scopes, photos taken of the Columbia about a minute before she disintegrated, and photos which showed damage to the left wing. It is now my firm belief that NASA knew from the liftoff that there was damage, and that the craft would probably not return safely to earth.

They HAD to know. As well as the fact that they had to keep it quiet, both from the public (what with the war in Iraq and terrorism from Al-Quaeda looming) and I would hope from the crew of Columbia as well.

There was no physical way the ship could have docked with ISS, so that is out. There was no way they could have repaired the wing.

My heart goes out to those at NASA even more so than it had before. What a terrible burden to bear, if indeed my suspicions are justified.

[ 02-07-2003 03:48 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.209.6
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 02-07-2003 03:55 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Sadly, I'd have to agree...

Lets just hope some of that nearly half a billion dollars coming from taxes to aid NASA is spent wisely in diverging a plan to keep this from happening again... perhaps work on this, before Bush's nuclear bomb defense ""Lasers"" that would be in the atmosphere...

Kind of ironic, that the lasers are sometimes referred to as 'star wars'...

[ 02-07-2003 03:56 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Loban ]

--------------------

Posts: 1163 | From: Ardmore, OK | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 66.156.194.252
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 02-07-2003 04:05 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I disagree that NASA knew they wouldn't be able to return. The damage is believed to have been caused by the foam. If they had realized the foam fell off, they would have assumed it cause minor damage to the tiles, and damage to the tiles, as NASA has said, is not uncommon, and shouldn't be a huge problem if only a few are damaged.

Personally, I think it's really low to believe that they knew and did nothing. Unless directed by the President (and chances are he never knew what a space shuttle was before this happened), they would have found a way (possibly sending up another shuttle to get the crew, or with the materials to fix the problem) to save them.

You can believe differently, and you will, but that's your right, yadda yadda yadda. I'm not gonna argue about it.

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 12.220.189.20
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 02-07-2003 04:15 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You can't just "send up" a shuttle like it's a plane or something. There is a great deal involved in the procedure, not to mention the fact that there already WAS one in the process of being readied, and it just couldn't be hurried along. This, of course, is the shuttle destined to go up to retrieve the ISS astronauts... if it goes at all now.

There just isn't any way they could get to the shuttle, nor is there anyway they could get the astronauts to the ISS. All they could do was hope that fate would decree that it make it safely down, against all odds, which of course it didn't.

Such is the physics of astronomy. And all this is something astronauts fully know each time they go up into space. Spaceflight might have become blase from the viewpoint of the public, but not in the eyes of those who ride the fires into the skies. They know the risks involved... and do it anyway since it's what they love doing best.

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.209.6
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 02-07-2003 04:23 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just two quick points:

First, Anakin's 'yadda yadda' gives me deja vu for some reason...

anyway, second... they are green for March's liftoff... and I agree with part of what Anakin said, we should have some sort of 'back-up' plan/shuttle... I know it would cost a lot, and not only money but man power as well... but something has to happen from the 475 million given to NASA, and it has to be substantial...

that's it, thank you for your attention...

--------------------

Posts: 1163 | From: Ardmore, OK | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 66.156.194.252
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 02-07-2003 04:46 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
But it still boils down to launch windows and orbits and intersections and so on. You can't just "send it up." This is planned, and takes time.

--------------------

Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 05-29-2003 07:44 PM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok - I know I'm really really late replying here but you must forgive me - at the time I was busy consoling third graders that the model rockets we were going to be building in class couldn't kill them - and that this is so rare we have only lost 2 other crews of ANY space mission in history.
Anakin is right though - they didn't know that the damage was so extensive - they didn't think anything of it but they are now saying that had they realized they would have rushed Atlantis to launch a couple weeks early and sent it up as a rescue mission - they would have had jsut enough of a window before Columbia's supplies and air purifiers ran out. Unfortunately they thought it was merely "routine" minor damage at most and considered it to be no problem at all. They do now know that "next time" a rescue mission or at least a diagnostic space walk will be mandatory.

on a brighter note the Rocester Science museum is hosting an astronaut along with Sci-fi stars Saturday for a meet and greet type deal and I'm so going. I don't know who I'm more excited to meet the astronaut - a real life hero or Chewbacca...

--------------------

A friend once told me "The Turtle Moves" I think we should all remember that right now...
Don't dance to live, live to dance!

Posts: 319 | From: Wandering the planet | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 204.168.82.9
Dash Kelderon

On the Road to Redemption

Member # 427

posted 05-29-2003 08:29 PM     Profile for Dash Kelderon   Author's Homepage   Email Dash Kelderon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'd have to go with Chewbacca on that one!!!

--------------------

Those 2 guys may be IDIOTS... but they think the same way I do!

Posts: 655 | From: M.I,A | Registered: Feb 2003  |  Logged: 24.233.122.164

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05