my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Announcements   » The Holonet Boards   » September 11

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: September 11
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 09-10-2002 09:47 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Considering certain aspects of what happened, it certainly doesn't seem like it's been a year. Considering other aspects and seems like it's been two.

There are a lot of different opinions on why, but I don't want to get anywhere near those tonight, especially tomorrow. So, let's not fight over why it happened, but instead, reflect on what did happen. Never forget that what happened directly affected 10's of thousands of individuals, and indirectly millions, if not billions, and not for the better.

Patriotism is not the love of the officials or policies of thsoe officials in your government, it's the love of the ideals it was founded upon, because officials and policies can easily be changed, all you have to do is try.

God Bless.

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 12.220.189.75
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 09-10-2002 10:22 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I couldn't believe it... I got to school 8:45 CST, and my teacher asked me if I had heard...

The school had it on the room televisions by 9... just before the second plane hit...

I really couldn't believe that, even though I saw it for my own eyes...

But, I thought it would only have been casualties on those floors that where first hit...

We went to our second hour class, and it happened...

The emotions that came out... the nerds hugging the preps... coming together as one...

I believe that is how we shall prevail...

[ 09-10-2002 10:28 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Loban ]

Posts: 1163 | From: Ardmore, OK | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 65.80.163.115
Selah

Member # 201

posted 09-11-2002 12:22 AM     Profile for Selah   Author's Homepage   Email Selah     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well said, Anakin. Thank you for the new look to the boards.

Visited this spring to NYC. It is verra different. We looked each other in the eye, which we never did when I lived there. The city is quieter, more reflective. The memorials brought tears to my eyes...but the great-gaping hole in the sky nearly brought me to my knees, sick to my stomach and sick at heart.

The amazing thing that has come from all of this is that once again, the hearts of the world have been connected. We can only hope for the best and, in caring for each other, being more compassionate & understanding, can we defeat the evil that surrounds us and seeks to defeat us.

--------------------

This too shall pass...

Posts: 32 | From: | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 216.65.185.86
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 09-11-2002 02:03 AM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I just went to yahoo...

there main page is in black and white to commemorate the date...

Posts: 1163 | From: Ardmore, OK | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 65.80.163.115
Mara1Jade

Expanded Universe Goddess and Corran Obsessor

Member # 68

posted 09-11-2002 02:16 PM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
You know, I'm sitting here watching all the stuff on the news, and I wonder...

Could the terrorists be sitting here just getting ideas from all the possibilities for future terrorism that the USA has identified and told the whole nation about? Terrorist fuels off paranoia, and buddy, we have paranoia.

I think it'd serve us better to commemerate what happened, honor the lives lost, and do something on this day to just live our lives.

That is what will defeat terrorism...

[ 09-11-2002 02:17 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Mara1Jade ]

--------------------

Small minds think in small terms!
~~CMH, creator and writer of Shayla Petrolu, Erik Kartan, Shawn Petrolu, Terrin Danner, Jasyn Lancaster, Matt Stanza, Aaron Barnes, And Taylor Garrison~~

Posts: 972 | From: Jacksonville, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 66.20.157.94
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 09-11-2002 02:25 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
We have paranoia?
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 09-11-2002 03:08 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't think the people are as paranoid as the press is...

And yea, the press needs to re-evaluated the way they report news. Mostly it's the 24 hour channels who run out of news, so they bring up "what if" questions.

--------------------

Support Progress

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 12.220.189.75
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 09-11-2002 03:14 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That is very true, Anakin...

I was just watching the opening of the Cubs game, very respectful... no commercials during the game...

Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 09-11-2002 06:36 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I'd just like to add in the following:

"Any man, who stands on the thresh-hold of war and peace, and looks accross the line in respect, seeing the need for both, and bowing to the patriotic will, that one must be used to achieve the other... That man, is a great man, for any who can see these truths, and not be taken by all that he only believes, and does not know, truly hold a respect for there nation. Let us remember the hero's, not just those that died, but those that lived, those that saved, and those that gave comfort to those that lost. Any who have heart towards this great nation, may they all be seen as equal in heroism, may all be held in high regard by the others of there kind, and in the eyes of god.

While those that struck against us are not in any way good, nor in any fashing deserving of our respect, let us hold for them understanding, for with there horrid attack upon our nation, we have indeed gain much, dispite the loss, we have once again been sparked with the love of country that for many, had not existed untill that day."

Some of the stuff said may seem a bit wrong, but this is how i see things, the good with the bad, i hope the above message can be viewed as it was intended, -In memory of those that care-...

I donno. peace out.

[ 09-11-2002 06:38 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Entaris ]

--------------------

"Insert Snappy quote here"

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.219.51.123
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 09-11-2002 08:41 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Did you write that, or was it a Bush speech?

--------------------

Support Progress

Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 09-11-2002 10:05 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That was all me baby! *grins* heh, did ya like it?

--------------------

"Insert Snappy quote here"

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.225.96.222
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-11-2002 10:14 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
EXCELLENT, and quite moving, Entaris. And a good point being brought up: to gaze upon all aspects concerned, and not respond out of fear or anger but only in just cause...

..else we lower ourselves to the level of those we are fighting against.

Which leads me to another deep question:

Who can forgive?

Personally, while I do not condone in any manner what has been done, in the spirit of trying to stop the hideous cycle of bloodshed, I can and do.

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.96.79
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 09-11-2002 10:15 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
That was good Entaris...

*Stands up, and applauds*

Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 09-11-2002 11:47 PM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It is those who care and keep caring, even little things like a hug today that have made this year more bearable for those of us that lost family to this. I really saw how much people can care today in the remorial services when even the President of the college gave a hug when they saw how upset I was and heard why. They have all made my day more bearable despite the reminders all around me and the fact that my family is so far away right now.

--------------------

A friend once told me "The Turtle Moves" I think we should all remember that right now...
Don't dance to live, live to dance!

Posts: 319 | From: Wandering the planet | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 204.168.82.9
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 09-12-2002 12:02 AM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
*gives hugs*

Sorry you couldn't be with your family...

But, a virtual hug you can have...

Did anyone watch any coverage of President Bush at ground zero?

[ 09-12-2002 12:09 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Loban ]

Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 09-12-2002 05:32 PM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Thanks Loban, and yeah I watched all the coverage all day - once I finally was coaxed out of the chapel

[ 09-12-2002 05:35 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Padme of Hidden Lake ]

--------------------

A friend once told me "The Turtle Moves" I think we should all remember that right now...
Don't dance to live, live to dance!

Posts: 319 | From: Wandering the planet | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 204.168.82.9

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05