my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Star Wars Discussion   » TPM & Original Trilogy   » Just Tossin' This Out....

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: Just Tossin' This Out....
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 05-25-2005 11:46 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Is it just me, or does anyone else believe that Luke isn't the high n' mighty Jedi he is PURPORTED to be in the movies... which of course was picked up willy-nilly by writers in star wars book series who only want to make a buck and get in on the whole Star Wars bandwagon?

Think about it.

He didn't destroy the Emperor. He was being fried to a crispy critter, losing BIG TIME.

Anakin was the only one strong enough to destroy Palpatine, even if it meant his own destruction as well, and he did it for Luke and quite possibly -- quite probably, in fact -- to compensate for all the evil he had done, all the horrible mistakes he had made.

Luke is namby-pamby and just a lucky dog that the few peeps he was lucky enough to overcome using the Force were so rotten and evil that they were weak-enough minded to give in to his attempts.

Jabba sneered at him. Boba Fett didn't appear at all concerned. And he only got in that one lucky punch in his lightsaber duel with Vader because Vader let him.

He was a young upstart, just beginning to learn about the ways of the Force, and far far from being it's Master.

No one around to really teach him more, too; everyone died.

Maybe that's the Balance: after EPVI there ARE no more REAL jedi, there ARE no more Sith, the Force is a happy lil ol camper being simply left alone to run the universe...

...which is as it should be.

[ 05-25-2005 11:47 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.117.8
Rykounagin

Son of Conflict

Member # 531

posted 05-25-2005 07:18 PM     Profile for Rykounagin   Author's Homepage   Email Rykounagin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Of course, it's rediculous! Besides, anyone who can go: "But Uncle Owen!" In such a pathetic voice is obviously not all he's made up to be. Not to mention in the vong series, he even admits that after ONE fight with a low ranking vong he's tired, because "the force takes much effort to control". If you put it in RPG terms, he's a level 8 character vs. vader, a level 19 character. NO WAY he could have won.... besides, he blew up the deathstart as a level 2. Sorry to put it into RPG terms....

--------------------

"I'm not afraid to keep on living, I'm not afraid to walk this world alone;" -Black Parade

Posts: 869 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  Logged: 168.103.69.105
Major-Konig

Idealistic Jedi

Member # 597

posted 05-25-2005 07:44 PM     Profile for Major-Konig   Author's Homepage   Email Major-Konig     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I wanted to go to Toshi station and pick up some power converters!!!

--------------------

The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together.

Posts: 241 | From: Pennsylvania USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  Logged: 24.238.34.220
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 05-25-2005 07:48 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hehe... yeah! He WAS a windy-whiner, wasn't he???

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.100.196
Rykounagin

Son of Conflict

Member # 531

posted 05-25-2005 07:49 PM     Profile for Rykounagin   Author's Homepage   Email Rykounagin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here goes the part of "Starwars gangsta rap, involving that part of the movies:

Owen: "Luke, get your ass over here. where's them two droids I told you to clean boy? Did you clean your room?"

Luke: "Uncle Owen! I know I'm on probation, can I borrow the speeder and go to the toshi station? I gotta lay away on my power converter, but now you're treatin me like a scruffy nerf herder!"

Anyone who can make him look like that in a song obviously see's it as well.

--------------------

"I'm not afraid to keep on living, I'm not afraid to walk this world alone;" -Black Parade

Sellith

Member # 625

posted 05-25-2005 11:03 PM     Profile for Sellith   Author's Homepage   Email Sellith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok here we go another "whack" theory of mine. Darth Vader didn't even need to be powerful to kill the Emperor, All he need was to throw a samll 90-100 year old man to his doom. Not much power needed . And no I don't think Luke as powerful as he is supposed to be.

--------------------

The Jedi are the true evil.

Posts: 84 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2005  |  Logged: 82.40.11.140
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 05-26-2005 01:16 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
PFFT.

Yeah... right.

A "small, 90-100 year old man" with enough power in his little toe to light up Los Angeles, sheesh.

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.117.8
Sellith

Member # 625

posted 05-26-2005 02:21 AM     Profile for Sellith   Author's Homepage   Email Sellith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes, but the Emperor was just picked up and thrown, he wasn't beaten by any force technique or lightsaber fight, a stormtrooper could have shot him while he was frying Luke and the Emperor would have been killed. He wasn't paying enough attention around him he was too busy electrocuting Luke. Did he carry a lightsaber in ROTJ? If he did why not use that? Unless he wanted Luke to suffer.

Sorry for these very strange thoughts, I'm just trying to think outside the box.

[ 05-26-2005 02:21 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Sellith ]

--------------------

Posts: 84 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2005  |  Logged: 82.40.11.140
Hawke

Broken Back Button

Member # 650

posted 05-26-2005 08:34 PM     Profile for Hawke   Author's Homepage   Email Hawke     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Luke really is just a whiny punk. I like Luke enough and all, but in the first two movies he really just needed to shut up.
All Luke really needed to do was remind Vader that he was once a good human being and he did that...by being fried by the Emperor. Thus balance is brought to the Force, Anikan returns to the Light Side,the Emperor is killed, and Ewoks get to party. And as I said before, all Luke needed to do was have a near death experience.

--------------------

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." ~ Douglas Adams

Posts: 11 | From: Someplace boring | Registered: May 2005  |  Logged: 24.14.137.183
Rykounagin

Son of Conflict

Member # 531

posted 05-26-2005 09:09 PM     Profile for Rykounagin   Author's Homepage   Email Rykounagin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Here's a great idea! TO save the galaxy from having "saviours and destroyers" (as the ENTIRE skywalker line is made of), why don't we just shoot them? It'd be so convinient too!

--------------------

Sarisa Ker

Really Nice Member

Member # 644

posted 08-03-2005 10:27 PM     Profile for Sarisa Ker   Author's Homepage   Email Sarisa Ker     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hi my name is luke skywalker and I BANG! shot down by an imperial stormtrooper. Like that?

--------------------

Knowledge is power.

Posts: 259 | From: | Registered: May 2005  |  Logged: 158.4.56.5
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-05-2005 02:26 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh... you mean the way it really SHOULD be--???

*Hates whiny jedi-wannabes....*

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.116.196
Sarisa Ker

Really Nice Member

Member # 644

posted 08-05-2005 05:53 PM     Profile for Sarisa Ker   Author's Homepage   Email Sarisa Ker     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think I was mostly disappointed when Luke first went to train with Yoda and all he did was say " I can't do it. I'm a wimp. waaahhh".

--------------------

Knowledge is power.

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-05-2005 06:25 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yes... and then he cuts and runs at the first sign of imminent danger, nevermind the counsel of Yoda, who was training him.

THEN after promising to come back to "complete his training," something Yoda himself alluded to when Ben's spirit worried to him that "now all was lost..." (ie: Luke ran off before he was ready-aka-FULLY TRAINED!!) -- and coming back to finish his training only to find Yoda dying...

...suddenly he's the head honcho, top dog Jedi Knight? Suddenly Yoda can't teach him any more?

Ok, so he's all they had available. And Yoda probably had to admit that even he couldn't teach him any further... WHEN THE KID WASN'T GONNA LISTEN ANYWAY.

*snickers*

Major, major plot hole... among many. You wouldn't catch the SITH being so slack!

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.116.202
Sarisa Ker

Really Nice Member

Member # 644

posted 08-05-2005 06:30 PM     Profile for Sarisa Ker   Author's Homepage   Email Sarisa Ker     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Yeah I agree. I just think they should've wrote Luke's character better than being a gunho I think I know it all type. I know that the training he did complete did help him some but come on. Just cause you can make C3-P0 float in a chair infront of the entire ewok village doesnt make you a powerful jedi.

--------------------

Knowledge is power.

Sellith

Member # 625

posted 08-05-2005 06:38 PM     Profile for Sellith   Author's Homepage   Email Sellith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What actually happens after ROTJ? How does Luke finish his training? If he does. I never have read any books even though I want to.

--------------------

Posts: 84 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2005  |  Logged: 80.195.130.214
Sarisa Ker

Really Nice Member

Member # 644

posted 08-05-2005 06:40 PM     Profile for Sarisa Ker   Author's Homepage   Email Sarisa Ker     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Good question. I'm sure graysith will enlighten us. I always thought he just went with what he did learn from Yoda.

--------------------

Knowledge is power.

Sellith

Member # 625

posted 08-05-2005 06:51 PM     Profile for Sellith   Author's Homepage   Email Sellith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I thought mabye the ones who become one with the force (Yoda, Ben and Anakin) would teach him. It sounds a little crazy though

--------------------

Posts: 84 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2005  |  Logged: 80.195.130.214
Sarisa Ker

Really Nice Member

Member # 644

posted 08-05-2005 06:52 PM     Profile for Sarisa Ker   Author's Homepage   Email Sarisa Ker     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yeah speaking of which what happens with those three. I mean they can obvliously appear anywhere they want to. So what do they do after ROTJ?

--------------------

Knowledge is power.

Rykounagin

Son of Conflict

Member # 531

posted 08-12-2005 12:44 AM     Profile for Rykounagin   Author's Homepage   Email Rykounagin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
First off, he meets up with a few other jedi over time, and establishes an academy on Yavin 4, aided by an ancient jedi holocron (He runs into some serious baddies along the way, like the spirit of Exar kun who posesses his strongest student and getsh im to blow up an entire starsystem with one missile). It's kinda lame, but it's not to terrible if you read it. Still, I wanted Yoda to go: "Hey, size of your whining matters not." *uses force and dunks him in the swamp*

--------------------

Posts: 869 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  Logged: 71.208.62.206
Sarisa Ker

Really Nice Member

Member # 644

posted 08-12-2005 06:29 AM     Profile for Sarisa Ker   Author's Homepage   Email Sarisa Ker     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If that would've happened for real I would've died laughing. I probably would've shot my drink out of my nose.

--------------------

Knowledge is power.

Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 08-12-2005 02:14 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't think Luke ever DID "complete" his training at all. Remember when he went back to Dagobah, the dying Yoda suddenly proclaims, "No more can I teach you..."

So SOMEWHERE between going to Bespin from Dagobah, or healing from the loss of his hand and going back to Tatooine to rescue Han, he bacame a Master?!?!

Hmmm... maybe it was en route from Tatooine back to Dagobah...

Like I said, there WERE no more Jedi, he was IT. Easy enough to announce one as a Jedi Master, don't ya think? But then again, it seems to me from the LOOONG AGO read "Splinter in the Mind's Eye" that there was mention of him going off somewhere to further "teach himself" by "practice and meditation..."

?!?!?!?!?!

As far as I'm concerned, he's still a windy-whiner jedi-wannabe in my book. The ONLY reason he wasn't squashed like the true bug that he is was due to the second thoughts of dear ol' daddy. I don't think he ever really had the ability to "meditate" enough to "learn more" on his own, especially not with the deeply ingrained negative attitude that he has.

[ 08-12-2005 02:18 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Graysith ]

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 64.12.116.196
Rykounagin

Son of Conflict

Member # 531

posted 08-12-2005 02:17 PM     Profile for Rykounagin   Author's Homepage   Email Rykounagin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
using game statistics, when he went to fight vader he was a "Jedi Knight" (level seven jedi guardian). True he should still have been murdered, but there was alot of the force going through him during that battle, and vader's heart didn't erally seem to be in it, though now having seen the old anakin before he became vader his persona changed ALOT.

--------------------

Posts: 869 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  Logged: 71.208.62.206
Sarisa Ker

Really Nice Member

Member # 644

posted 08-14-2005 12:21 AM     Profile for Sarisa Ker   Author's Homepage   Email Sarisa Ker     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Maybe he got tired of killing everyone who crossed his path? Maybe the good little kid Anakin peeped his little head into Vaders soul when he saw Luke and so he couldn't fully commit to destroying Luke like he would've some lowly rebel soldier.

[ 08-28-2005 02:46 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Sarisa Ker ]

--------------------

Knowledge is power.

Posts: 259 | From: | Registered: May 2005  |  Logged: 64.136.49.226
Sa'kal'ishaalas

Member # 532

posted 02-26-2006 04:34 PM     Profile for Sa'kal'ishaalas   Author's Homepage   Email Sa'kal'ishaalas     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, I want you all to think also, at least those who read the Episode III book. I don't know if Yoda says it in the movie, but he admits that the Sith learned to adapt, but the Jedi didn't, and that's why they all died off. Luke was the first of a new type of Jedi, who came to somewhat mastery over the force through personal training and self-discovery, not being taught by someone else. I think thats why he seems so different than the Jedi of old.

But I still think he's a whiney litte bastard that needs to be vaporized...

Posts: 173 | From: | Registered: May 2004  |  Logged: 69.233.49.126

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05