my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Star Wars Discussion   » TPM & Original Trilogy   » Trilogy or Book?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: Trilogy or Book?
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 08-02-2003 04:32 PM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What do you think? Did the Book of the Trilogy potray it better than the movies?

--------------------

"I am here to redeem myself. See, The Fate of the universe lies in my hands! I will take up the challenge!"

-Lumbia Whitfield

Posts: 1143 | From: In space... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 12.213.76.134
O-B-1 Kenobi

Member # 467

posted 08-02-2003 11:21 PM     Profile for O-B-1 Kenobi   Author's Homepage   Email O-B-1 Kenobi     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't know.......I read some inconsistencies in the books. 1 example is in ANH. In the movie, Luke was in Red squardron. But in book, he was in Blue.
Posts: 66 | From: unknnown | Registered: May 2003  |  Logged: 134.144.240.3
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 08-02-2003 11:25 PM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Blue? Hmm, wonder why they switched it around. I swear Lucas wrote the book...

--------------------

"I am here to redeem myself. See, The Fate of the universe lies in my hands! I will take up the challenge!"

-Lumbia Whitfield

Posts: 1143 | From: In space... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 12.213.76.134
Xam Ngboohan

Force Sensitive Mercenary

Member # 463

posted 08-03-2003 06:49 PM     Profile for Xam Ngboohan   Author's Homepage   Email Xam Ngboohan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
He did write the book. And yep O-B-1 is right. Others include the escape from Hoth(the ion cannon did not destroy a Star Destroyer as seen in the movies), The rancor(the book says it was a huge mutant creature). Jabba the Hutt (he looks healthy enough but the book says he was dying f a disease). Also Luke's lightsaber in ROTJ was blue in the books but green in the movie.

Let me try to find more.....

[ 08-03-2003 06:50 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Xam Ngboohan ]

--------------------

There is a shadowy voice in my heart, telling me to embrace the darkness.....

Posts: 316 | From: Singapore | Registered: May 2003  |  Logged: 164.78.252.53
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 08-03-2003 09:22 PM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have a feeling that the movie seemed to potray it better.

--------------------

-Lumbia Whitfield

Xam Ngboohan

Member # 463

posted 08-06-2003 12:22 AM     Profile for Xam Ngboohan   Author's Homepage   Email Xam Ngboohan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
why do you think so Lumbia

--------------------

LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 08-06-2003 01:10 AM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Because the Red Squadron was symbolic of the Alliance. Luke was on the front lines on a road to greatness, his squadron repersenting the cause with a single color. Blue just doesn't do that. Maybe I'm thinking too into it, but yah.

And a picture is worth a thousand words.

--------------------

-Lumbia Whitfield

Xam Ngboohan

Member # 463

posted 08-06-2003 09:47 PM     Profile for Xam Ngboohan   Author's Homepage   Email Xam Ngboohan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
hmm you may be right. But what about the other inconsistencies? Like the rancor actally being a mutane creature create specifically for Jabba the Hutt's use.

--------------------

Posts: 316 | From: Singapore | Registered: May 2003  |  Logged: 164.78.252.56
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 08-06-2003 10:35 PM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Doesn't sound right either, the Hutt are great faction, but it isn't as wealthy as the Black Sun organization. It wouldn't have a creature specifically for him.

The rancor concept created something new for the characters, but making it specific, and seem as though there were no other ones out there drew from the mystical sense of the rancor.

So this completely diminished the concept of greatness from the mountain witches on Dathomoir. They rid rancors, but if this idea was true--then these rancors seemed to come from nowhere in the story the first time you saw them.

The rancor thing is alot better.

--------------------

-Lumbia Whitfield

Xam Ngboohan

Member # 463

posted 08-06-2003 10:43 PM     Profile for Xam Ngboohan   Author's Homepage   Email Xam Ngboohan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And the lightsaber which is meant to be blue?

--------------------

LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 08-06-2003 10:53 PM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Blue by the Jedi Creed was considered repersented in the old days as Padawanship, or not ''full understanding''. A blue would contridict the very significance of Yoda's words.

Also blue was the same color that he had in the beginning. Symbolizing change in him, with the show of blue and green.

--------------------

-Lumbia Whitfield

Xam Ngboohan

Member # 463

posted 08-06-2003 11:04 PM     Profile for Xam Ngboohan   Author's Homepage   Email Xam Ngboohan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
why blue and not yelow or purple like M. Windu

--------------------

LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 08-07-2003 01:42 AM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Purple at the time was seen in the world of fans as close to the Dark Side, since it was darker than blue and green. Yellow on the other hand didn't look good on graphics, lol

--------------------

-Lumbia Whitfield

Xam Ngboohan

Member # 463

posted 08-07-2003 06:16 PM     Profile for Xam Ngboohan   Author's Homepage   Email Xam Ngboohan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Purple is dark side? Then why is M.Windu having a purple lightsaber?

In my opinion, Luke looked better with a blue lightsaber. Also, if you say that blue is meant to represent padawanship, then why is ben in ANH carrying a blue lightsaber?

--------------------

LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 08-08-2003 12:59 AM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Luke look horrible with a blue one. The green one gives him attitude. And yes, at the time they believed the purple one was seen as the dark side. If you go through all the games that have came out after Rebel Alliance, you'll see why.

So many people of which had purple and even yellow were seen as darksiders. I think only one Jedi, outside of Mace Windu after the New Republic wielded a purple lightsaber. I lost his name, but I do remember him in a photo.

Mace Windu got it because Samuel L. Jackson wanted his own flare.

--------------------

-Lumbia Whitfield

Xam Ngboohan

Member # 463

posted 08-10-2003 06:30 PM     Profile for Xam Ngboohan   Author's Homepage   Email Xam Ngboohan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I thought only red was dark side.

And lightside Jedi also weilded purple. Anakin and jaina Solo hd purple sabers.

Dark Jedi sariss in the game Dark Forces 2 weilded a blue one.

hmm...............

[ 08-10-2003 06:32 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Xam Ngboohan ]

--------------------

Posts: 316 | From: Singapore | Registered: May 2003  |  Logged: 164.78.252.56
Orlok

Member # 499

posted 09-07-2003 02:54 PM     Profile for Orlok   Author's Homepage   Email Orlok     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xam Ngboohan:[QB]I thought only red was dark side.QB]

That's what George Lucas said.

--------------------

"Time waits for no man."

Posts: 34 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2003  |  Logged: 82.35.24.169
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 09-07-2003 09:20 PM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Maybe there isn't any factional limitation on coloring of the lightsaber.

I don't know **shrug**

--------------------

-Lumbia Whitfield

Orlok

Member # 499

posted 09-08-2003 12:11 AM     Profile for Orlok   Author's Homepage   Email Orlok     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
According to Lucas, there is a limitation. Whilst in the novels, comic books and toy figures even.

I remember, prior to TPM, a Mace Windu promotional figure was released with a blue lightsabre. Imagine all the collectors' glee when they saw him brandishing a purple lightsabre. They saw only green .

--------------------

"Time waits for no man."

Posts: 34 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2003  |  Logged: 82.35.24.169
Dash Kelderon

On the Road to Redemption

Member # 427

posted 09-08-2003 04:44 AM     Profile for Dash Kelderon   Author's Homepage   Email Dash Kelderon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
For more information on LIGHTSABERS, and Who weilded what color, visit http://www.thelightsaber.com/history1.htm

--------------------

Those 2 guys may be IDIOTS... but they think the same way I do!

Posts: 655 | From: M.I,A | Registered: Feb 2003  |  Logged: 63.88.67.230
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 09-08-2003 09:51 PM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think I saw that before, thanks for the information.

--------------------

-Lumbia Whitfield

Dash Kelderon

On the Road to Redemption

Member # 427

posted 09-10-2003 03:07 AM     Profile for Dash Kelderon   Author's Homepage   Email Dash Kelderon     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think it was posted here before. I couldn't remember. I love that site. It's so informative!

--------------------

Those 2 guys may be IDIOTS... but they think the same way I do!

Posts: 655 | From: M.I,A | Registered: Feb 2003  |  Logged: 63.88.67.230

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05