my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Star Wars Discussion   » TPM & Original Trilogy   » why do we keep watching them?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: why do we keep watching them?
Dash

Wise Ass

Member # 83

posted 04-24-2001 03:22 PM     Profile for Dash   Author's Homepage   Email Dash     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
why do we watch star wars over and over again? do we think luke with not lose his hand in ESB? I know why I watch it, do you know why you watch it? besides the fact its a good movie

------------------
If I cared I'd be smiling right now :(

Posts: 288 | From: Hell | Registered: Nov 2000  |  Logged: 172.166.180.200
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 04-24-2001 04:44 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I rarely rewatch it. If it's on TV and there's nothing better to do, I'll watch it. But, I never rewatch a movie over and over no matter how much I like it......I don't even know why I buy movies...

------------------
Anakin
[monger=ff0000,ffffff]Holonet Jedi Master[/monger]
Forum Administrator

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 172.164.158.66
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 04-29-2001 02:23 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If it rates 10+ on the "Purely Escapism" scale, I'll watch it... over and over... just to get away from it all. Kind of like "Calgon, take me away..." only you don't get all wrinkled and pruney...

Grins through whiskers....

------------------
[monger=000FFF,FFF000]"I Ride the Stormcloud and the Night!"[/monger]

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.207.183
BobPalpatine

Foo Fighter

Member # 17

posted 05-01-2001 12:46 PM     Profile for BobPalpatine   Author's Homepage   Email BobPalpatine     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I think I watch it to recapture the feeling of when I first fell in love with SW or the feeling I got when I saw it for the first time...ya know??

Another thing is...is you want to see the good guys win again...its just good that way....

------------------
[monger=ff0000,ffff00]I'm from the Lou and I'm proud...[/monger]

BobPalpatine
Holonet Admin

Posts: 681 | From: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  Logged: 204.184.55.166
Mara1Jade

Expanded Universe Goddess and Corran Obsessor

Member # 68

posted 05-01-2001 01:46 PM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well, I for one am an addict. After watching SW so much, no other movie seems to be quite the same. I don't know exactly what it is that SW has that the rest of them don't. It's just uncomparable to anything else...

------------------
If the wind no longer calls you, it is time to see if you have forgotten your name...

Posts: 972 | From: Jacksonville, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 65.80.104.157
Dash

Wise Ass

Member # 83

posted 05-01-2001 04:23 PM     Profile for Dash   Author's Homepage   Email Dash     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I watch for mistakes and things in the backround I hadn't noticed the last time I paid attention to any SW movie was about a year ago

------------------

Posts: 288 | From: Hell | Registered: Nov 2000  |  Logged: 172.172.102.65
Mara1Jade

Expanded Universe Goddess and Corran Obsessor

Member # 68

posted 05-01-2001 05:13 PM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
What's funny is that some of the mistakes pop out at me when I'm not even looking at them. And now I have this really bad habit of *accidentally* using Star Wars lines in real life. And usually unless I'm around someone who knows alot of Star Wars I'M the only one who really even notices it...

------------------
If the wind no longer calls you, it is time to see if you have forgotten your name...

Posts: 972 | From: Jacksonville, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 65.80.104.157
Dash

Wise Ass

Member # 83

posted 05-01-2001 10:15 PM     Profile for Dash   Author's Homepage   Email Dash     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I've seen things in the SW movies that should rate it R

------------------

Posts: 288 | From: Hell | Registered: Nov 2000  |  Logged: 172.150.252.15
RedMirax

Member # 56

posted 05-03-2001 07:34 PM     Profile for RedMirax   Author's Homepage   Email RedMirax     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like to rewatch all my favorite parts!!! Sometimes I'm in the mood for the SE and sometimes the regular version.

I love watching the ending of ANH!!!! And the ending of the regular version of RotJ. The ending to TPM is becoming a fave moment, too. Along with the whole lightsaber fight between Obi, Qui, and Maul!!!

------------------
Who needs TK? Corran has EVERYTHING else!!!

Posts: 42 | From: Dallas,Tx | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 64.217.249.134
Bidlo Kwerve

Broken Back Button

Member # 109

posted 05-04-2001 08:44 AM     Profile for Bidlo Kwerve   Author's Homepage   Email Bidlo Kwerve     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Because I

1) Have an impeccable memory
or
2) Am an obsessive fanboy

I can remember certain events happening in my life during times I've watched it...like when I saw all of ESB for the 1st time, I had a pounding headache...or when I saw ESB, played football outside afterwards and broke my arm...or when I skipped school to see ANH:SE (OK, ESB:SE and ROTJ:SE, too)

So, yeah, I rewatch the movies ALOT.

------------------
[monger=dc143c,708090]Whenever the shades of night are falling...it's Skyline time[/monger]

Posts: 6 | From: USA | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 205.188.192.169
Dash

Wise Ass

Member # 83

posted 05-05-2001 09:39 PM     Profile for Dash   Author's Homepage   Email Dash     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yuo'll never get anywhere in life if you do the same things over and over again

------------------

Posts: 288 | From: Hell | Registered: Nov 2000  |  Logged: 172.137.150.15
Padme of Hidden Lake

Really Nice Member

Member # 107

posted 05-05-2001 11:44 PM     Profile for Padme of Hidden Lake   Author's Homepage   Email Padme of Hidden Lake     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
yeah you can - practice makes perfect!!!!!

------------------
A friend once told me "The Turtle Moves" I think we should all remember that right now...
Don't dance to live, live to dance!

Posts: 319 | From: Wandering the planet | Registered: May 2001  |  Logged: 204.168.82.9
BobPalpatine

Foo Fighter

Member # 17

posted 05-06-2001 01:03 AM     Profile for BobPalpatine   Author's Homepage   Email BobPalpatine     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I like to rewatch movies

(edited By Dash for personal reasons)

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Dash on May 06, 2001]

Posts: 681 | From: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  Logged: 204.184.51.254
Recinis

Sith Protector

Member # 266

posted 07-31-2002 01:37 PM     Profile for Recinis   Author's Homepage   Email Recinis     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Its quite simple really, the reason some watch, and some rewatch, the reason are actauly quite amazing. some of us, like myself, and perhaps anakin though maybe not, watch a movie, and deside if its a good movie or not, and might watch it again if theres nothing better, we could love the movie more that anything else, but there is just no reason to watch it, we know what happens, we know the story, so its just there, and isnt much fun anymore, and thats why i roleplay,because i want to create a new starwars, evolve the story so to say.

and then there are those that rewatch, to them they must know everything, those that rewatch want to be able to know where the mistakes were, and because of that, the story is ever evolving.

its a mental concept, its the way our minds work. i know thats not what the question ment was asking, but that is truly the reason. and as for what mara said, well, the reason your addicted, is because the movies open something in you, they reach out, to a world that perhaps you wish could exist, i know thats why i like star wars, its the kind of world i would like to live in, where good wins out over evil, and magic exists, along with amazing technology.

--------------------

"my hearts my strongest weapon, my mind my swiftess blade, the words i speak can cut your flesh, and leave you in the gray"
---BMG

Posts: 456 | From: | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 67.227.22.67
Brodie-Wan

Member # 294

posted 07-31-2002 01:45 PM     Profile for Brodie-Wan   Author's Homepage   Email Brodie-Wan     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Those movies are my bible i love them with all my heart. I wont even go out with a girl if she doesnt like them. I know im a dork but i dont care. I quote them when I talk I base alot of my life on some of yoda teachings. I try to stay away from anger fear and hate. I use the force and let it be my guide(the mind tricks really work,mostly because my sister is an idiot). I have the movies right next to my vcr so i can just picked them up and put one in. I know just about every thing about the movies. I watch them over and over because it would be wrong not to.

--------------------

And thats all i have to say about that.

Posts: 42 | From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2002  |  Logged: 209.202.90.235
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 07-31-2002 04:43 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
NERDALERT... just kidding, good points guys...
Posts: 1163 | From: Ardmore, OK | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 66.156.195.173
Sissi

Member # 277

posted 08-11-2002 09:46 AM     Profile for Sissi   Author's Homepage   Email Sissi     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I have to agree with Mara, I'm always dropping lines into conversation too. I watch the movies over, and over, and over. I saw Ep1 at the cinema six times but am rather ashamed to admit I've only seen Ep2 twice but it's not my fault! Due to a health problem I couldn't sit down for more than about a half hour at a time (and before anyone asks it's nothing to do with my butt ) and that makes going to the movies difficult! I generally try and watch the trilogy at least once a month and fit in Ep1 a little less often, I don't enjoy it as much as the trilogy but maybe when I have Ep2 to watch straight after I'll watch it over and over and over too! I can't tell you how many times I watched them while I was off work ill. It's a wonder I didn't wear my videos out!

--------------------

The Force makes a Jedi, not the lightsaber...

Posts: 37 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2002  |  Logged: 62.253.128.6
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 08-11-2002 12:59 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ya, its not as much fun to watch a movie unless you can see the next part...so the triligy is great..hmm..just imagen when 3 is out on video... then youll have to watch 6 movies in a row...jeez.. thats almost 12 hours... half a day right there, just for starwars... THAT WOULD BE GREAT! we need another triligy to come out after this one...get it up to 24 hours, then we would have to reserve our saterdays just for starwars!

--------------------

"Insert Snappy quote here"

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.227.22.216
Sissi

Member # 277

posted 08-13-2002 03:32 PM     Profile for Sissi   Author's Homepage   Email Sissi     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Just Saturday's? Why stop there? Let's go for a whole weekend!

--------------------

The Force makes a Jedi, not the lightsaber...

Posts: 37 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2002  |  Logged: 62.253.128.6
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 08-13-2002 04:05 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
We need a few more trilligies to come out in order to do that... ya, imagin sw, the whole set, 48 hours long...that would be SWEET...

--------------------

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.225.96.191
LumbiaSith

Padawan

Member # 250

posted 08-13-2002 06:47 PM     Profile for LumbiaSith   Author's Homepage   Email LumbiaSith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I dont watch them over and over, only when they come on again..like Anakin.

--------------------

"I am here to redeem myself. See, The Fate of the universe lies in my hands! I will take up the challenge!"

-Lumbia Whitfield

Posts: 1143 | From: In space... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 12.213.76.134
Entaris

Dark Priest

Member # 224

posted 08-22-2002 10:10 PM     Profile for Entaris   Author's Homepage   Email Entaris     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
of course, your type B, as i stated a few hundred posts above, you watch them, and are satisfied with it, only watching if its available, and you have nothing better to do...but you love them none the less

--------------------

Posts: 796 | From: Victorville | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 67.225.96.186
Kanos

Broken Back Button

Member # 334

posted 09-04-2002 06:37 AM     Profile for Kanos   Author's Homepage   Email Kanos     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
i tend to keep the movies as something special and only watch them when something good happens or I just need my SW kick again. I mean the Battle of Hoth can be watched so many times... damn those rebels!

--------------------

For some people punishment is a lesson, For others its a Lifetime!

Posts: 14 | From: | Registered: Sep 2002  |  Logged: 172.142.186.93
Selah

Member # 201

posted 09-12-2002 10:06 PM     Profile for Selah   Author's Homepage   Email Selah     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
the reason your addicted, is because the movies open something in you, they reach out, to a world that perhaps you wish could exist, i know thats why i like star wars, its the kind of world i would like to live in, where good wins out over evil, and magic exists, along with amazing technology.

Well. Hello. That's it, really, all wrapped up and ready to take-out. Well said, Rencinis.

I will be terribly sad and a bit lost when GL releases the last of my bedtime story. I've been having these heroes and villains, their struggles & triumphs roaming around in my imagination since I was a little girl; it'll be hard to know where to go from there, once they've fought the final battle in Ep. III and tied the last of this epic together. *sighs*

--------------------

This too shall pass...

Posts: 32 | From: | Registered: May 2002  |  Logged: 216.65.185.12

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05