my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Star Wars Discussion   » TPM & Original Trilogy   » The Nature of the Force

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: The Nature of the Force
Rogue Angel

Jedi Knight

Member # 33

posted 09-02-2000 12:56 AM     Profile for Rogue Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Rogue Angel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok, I have a question:

Everybody knows that there are negative consequences to using the dark side of the Force. (At least I HOPE we all know that) But...have you ever wondered if there are negative consequences to using the Light side too much as well? I know that relying too much on the Force could make you weak and lazy, but are there any other physical/mental consequences, too? I was just wondering.

------------------
"Is that a lightsaber in your pocket or are ya just happy to see me?"

Posts: 357 | From: Mississippi, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.207.179
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-02-2000 01:49 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Rogue Angel: Are you looking for answers ala Lucas/Star Wars, or regarding our real world and the "Force" therein?

------------------
"I Ride the Stormcloud and the Night!"

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.199.26
Rogue Angel

Jedi Knight

Member # 33

posted 09-03-2000 06:37 PM     Profile for Rogue Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Rogue Angel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The "Force" as relates to the Star Wars universe.

------------------

Posts: 357 | From: Mississippi, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.198.186
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-03-2000 08:33 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmm... I don't think Lucas has any down-side to "overuse" of the Light Side of the Force. I mean, that's his whole thing, that the Light Side is how the universe ought to be run, that following the Light Side brings one inner peace and calmness and the ability to coolly assess all dilemmas and respond accordingly, etc. The more you use the Light Side, the more attuned you are with the Universe and everyone in it, and the happier you'll be, I think....

On a more personal note, I think it makes ya fat and lazy and insipid... but then hey! I'm Sith! hehehe...

------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.199.190
Quee Varcek

Member # 45

posted 09-04-2000 10:56 PM     Profile for Quee Varcek   Author's Homepage   Email Quee Varcek     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Actually, the force is supposed to be used for the purposes of knowledge. Jedi are not to use their powers to interfere in the affairs of men, only to advise. That is why the darkside has consequences. The darkside perverts the true nature of the force. Only when the darkside is used to unbalance things do the jedi put their powers to full use.

------------------
Luke-"Is the darkside stronger?"
Yoda-"No!No! No. Quicker. Easier. More seductive."

Posts: 15 | From: | Registered: Aug 2000  |  Logged: 216.8.0.70
Gouyen Chee

Member # 31

posted 09-05-2000 12:04 AM     Profile for Gouyen Chee   Email Gouyen Chee     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Both light and dark are needed to create balance -- a dynamic balance, with first one side, then the other, gaining primacy. If it weren't for the dark side, the Jedi wouldn't exist -- they would have nothing to counter. Having nothing to counter means that the universe is dead -- entropy has taken complete control and everything has become a uniform, inert mass.

------------------
Never underestimate the power of the dark side....
*Gouyen*

Posts: 69 | From: The Left Coast | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 209.178.128.52
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-05-2000 12:13 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
AND--where there is no strength to combat seeming balance, then steps in the subtle downrush into entropy.

Strength rises up against insipid balance. Strength creates. Strength fights against the final degredation: entropy. Strength gives life.

And according to Lucas, this strength, this fighter against the "flow of normalcy," is the Dark Side.

Give me it's strength any day....

------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.206.187
BobPalpatine

Foo Fighter

Member # 17

posted 09-05-2000 10:00 AM     Profile for BobPalpatine   Author's Homepage   Email BobPalpatine     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ok I'm coming in a little late but I'll try to enter...

I agree with Rogue that overuse of the Force will gain you nothing but laziness. The Force is there to help you in times of need and for KNOWLEDGE .

As to there has to be the dark side...well that doesn't mean there has to be a Sith to have darkside. Say Han got all badass and started killing people...he would be part of the darkside. So...there is always those damn darkside people around for our heroes to kill...

Hope this made sense...I'm at home sick and need to do something desperatly...

------------------
[monger=ff0000,ffff00]I got the rap industry clock clock on lock![/monger]

BobPalpatine
Holonet Moderator

Posts: 681 | From: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  Logged: 204.184.55.31
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-05-2000 12:27 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Actually, if you want my complete opinion about all this:

The Force is the Force. Period. It is the nature of the beast that uses it that determines if it is Light or Dark. The Force is merely Power, energy; it is how it is put to use that makes it "Light" or Dark."

So in this regard, I agree with Bob.

To go on further: I think that the Dark side is supposed to be inherently "weaker" than the Light side because it encompasses one's inner fear. Fear is of the Dark side, whether it is blatant and understood, or deeply hidden away within one's subconscious.

And fear weakens. Fear disillusions, fear masks reality, distorts it. Fear disrupts clear thinking. Fear can actually be said to be the Light Side's greatest ally!

I don't think there is a single Dark User who doesn't harbor a modicum of fear within him/herself. For it is this that motivates him/her to seek power, to gain assets, to attack. It is the fear of loss, of having nothing, of BEING nothing that does it.

So this is what I think Lucas means when he says the Dark Side, though easier, is weaker.

(Even though I still think the Light Side makes ya fat and lazy! )

Boy howdy, was this hard for the Chosen Daughter to admit to!

------------------

[Edited 1 times, lastly by Graysith on September 05, 2000]

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.206.202
Anakin

Retired

Member # 8

posted 09-05-2000 04:55 PM     Profile for Anakin   Author's Homepage   Email Anakin     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
It's so much more fun to be evil...

------------------
Anakin
[monger=ff0000,ffffff]Holonet Jedi Master[/monger]
Forum Administrator

-Have you mowed your lawn today?-
-Trying is the first step towards failure......-
-Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates.....-
-People bring out the worst in me-

Posts: 1663 | From: Louisville, Ky/Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2000  |  Logged: 166.62.44.104
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-05-2000 10:38 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
*Agrees wholeheartedly, eyes flashing*

I don't necessarily have to adhere to my opinions of certain matters, hehehe...

*works on gaining total control over any leftover inner weaknesses, so as to enjoy being evil all that much more....*

------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.204.184
Quee Varcek

Member # 45

posted 09-07-2000 12:22 AM     Profile for Quee Varcek   Author's Homepage   Email Quee Varcek     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I agree with Graysith, the force is the force. Jedi who follow its way remain neutral until a power hungry darksider, who was probably spurned by the captain of the grav ball team or the head cheerleader at the local academy, calls himself a darth and tries to take over the known universe. Then it is up to the Jedi to use the power of the light side to re-adjust the balance upset by the darksider.

As for overuse of the lightside making one fat and lazy, I think it is the overuse of the force in general. It could also be a side effect of overuse of the internet. Does that make the internet light or dark side?

------------------

Posts: 15 | From: | Registered: Aug 2000  |  Logged: 63.15.68.46
Darth Wicked

Member # 0

posted 09-07-2000 01:28 AM     Profile for Darth Wicked   Email Darth Wicked     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Well now, late as always, but here we go. I agree in a sense with Gouyen, that without light there isn't dark, and vice versa. But tell me this, there are people who can love their family and protect them with their life, but take anothers life. In my opinion, a shadow, two faced, mask, whatever. What my character is. He harnesses both the light and the dark.

Now onto my question, if you harness both the light and the dark side of the Force, what negative effects are there? You have anger, hate, fear, agression, all of the from the Dark Side. But you can soothe all of that with the Light to be rational, so you can accomplish your goal of destruction or whatever it may be. So, what negative side effects are there for that one?

------------------
Darth Wicked

Posts: | From: | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  Logged: 63.227.125.35
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-07-2000 07:05 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Ahh-hh-hhh... but what determines good and evil in light of our existence?

Society's norms. The mores of the majority we live with.

With this in mind, is the taking of a life in defense of one's family then truly evil? What about the charity in a coup de grace? Putting our beloved pets to sleep out of mercy?

Again, the intention determines the origin. I think these matters spring from what Lucas would call the Light Side, as they are motivated by "good," even though they represent a rather extreme action on the part of that "good."

As for rationality: this is not a trait monopolized by the Light Side. Some of the most successful evil-doers throughout history have possessed a cool rationality regarding their beliefs and actions; we would call this "deviousness."

I would think that to truly "harness" both the Light and the Dark (using Lucas' definitions of these terms)would result in a balance that would just negate: positive meeting negative results in steady state, or nullification. There would be NO "use of the Force," as the Dark would hold back the Light and vice versa.

(And on this note, with my character, the "all" of the Force she holds is more along the lines of what exists in nature already: the four known forces of nature, and Time. That's the angle I am coming from, rather than her harboring both "good" and "evil" within her. She's just baa-aa-ad.)

------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.199.151
Darth Wicked

Member # 0

posted 09-07-2000 11:56 AM     Profile for Darth Wicked   Email Darth Wicked     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Graysith,

What I meant was, someone who loves their family and would die for them, but has, and could kill someone just for looking at them wrong.

And I have to disagree with you on the, negate "no use of the Force" thing, cause think about it, Lucas himself created Uber Jedi. Those who walk the thin line between Light and Dark, Love and Hate, Agression and Peace, etc. etc. And that is what brought up my question, they have yet to kill off the Uber Jedi, and so what negative effects are there? Wouldn't you just become a complete "God" and I use that term referring to the Titans and greek mythology. Unbeatable as you could fight a Sith, and use the Light to counteract and the Dark to kill. And vice versa for a Jedi. So by the Star Wars, not society and "real world" meanings, what negative effects are there?

------------------
Darth Wicked

Posts: | From: | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  Logged: 63.227.125.35
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-07-2000 02:31 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmm-mm-mm... personally, I'm a bit clueless on that one. I think Lucas kinda wrote himself into a corner there, especially since somewhere (don't ask me to remember exactly where it was) it was brought out that it is the intent behind the use of the Force which determines whether it is Dark or Light. I /think/ this was somewhere in the Original Trilogy, but don't quote me on that.

Quite possibly an Uber Jedi might go kinda insane; you know, split personality and so on. One instant Light; the next, Dark. I would think that would drive anyone nuts.

Think about it: to be operating constantly from a self-centered, fearful and hating mode, then switching to a truly loving and calm one, all negative emotions gone (possibly deeply repressed)~ this see-sawing would eventually result in an emotional breakdown. At least that's my humble opinion.

And since you state that Lucas himself hasn't figured out how to kill them off yet... well, then there is no way yet. But in my humble opinion (speculative, of course) they would eventually just self-destruct.

------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.192.41
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-07-2000 02:37 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh yes, I forgot to add:

In being seen as "omnipotent," as you say, it would also seem that the only thing that could kill (defeat, eliminate, get rid of, whatever) a god would be another god. And what's the old saying? ~

"Those whom gods destroy they first make mad..."

------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.192.41
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-07-2000 03:19 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Oh yes, in answering Quee's last question:

I hate to sound like a broken record, but I suppose determining whether overuse of the internet as being "good" or "evil" again depends on how one is using it. Is it being used as a tool, to gain knowledge to be then put forth to assist others? (Or in the line of work, which supports family.) Or, is one using it just to benefit oneself, removing oneself from friends, family ("reality," so to speak) and so on. Does the "overuse" impinge upon others or not? (And define the term, "overuse," please!)

Self-gratification... or seeking answers to questions... and then not doing anything much with those answers. Here I suppose you could call "overuse of the internet 'evil.'" (And at this, before anyone jumps on me, let me say this: I believe that Knowledge gained for Knowledge's sake is neutral at best. Knowledge is meant to be shared, to help others improve themselves and such.)

Which brings me full circle again to the entire "good/evil" thing: I think a good definition of the term "good" would be actions or statements, etc. that benefit others. "Evil" would then be actions or statements that benefit self. I think this because Man is a social creature; removing one'self from the social herd is not good for the herd as an entirety, and frowned upon. (Please, keep in mind the terms "good" and "evil" are not black and white, either. There is an entire huge range of "grayish" subtleties here.)

This relates nicely to Lucas Dark Side/Light Side schism. Look how Darksiders use the Force vs. Lightsiders. Self-aggrandizement vs. utilization of Knowledge to assist the Galaxy.

Which again brings me to the Uber Jedi thing. They'd have to go nuts, for they would be experiencing way too much inner emotional contradiction. One minute a "me, me, me" mentality; the complete reverse the next.

------------------

Quee Varcek

Member # 45

posted 09-14-2000 02:28 AM     Profile for Quee Varcek   Author's Homepage   Email Quee Varcek     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I don't know about any uber jedi. All I know is that there is good and evil in the star wars universe and you don't see the jedi blazing in trying to destroy all the evil. you do, however, see the dark jedi trying to conquer and enslave. Hence the upsetting of the balance. In come the jedi to reset the scale not tip it to their advantage. Qui-gon said it himself: "I didn't come here to free slaves" and "I can't fight a war for you". As for uber jedi not being light or dark, I can't see it. Yoda said: "once you start down the dark path,forever will it dominate your destiny". I don't think you can ride the fence. The internet is like that. finally, as for light and dark all being a perception of how you use it and the moral code each individual has, I think that may work on some of the smaller issues, but I feel pretty sure that we all agree that even though he felt right about what he was doing, hitler was off his rocker and thoroughly evil. If you don't, I don't want to play with you anymore. ;-p~

------------------

Posts: 15 | From: | Registered: Aug 2000  |  Logged: 63.15.68.252
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-14-2000 07:19 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hmmm... Quee:

Maybe you're on to something. Maybe "good" is allowing the status quo to continue on it's own? As long as that status quo is a situation promoting growth of it's parts, and thus growth of itself. Ie: nature runs things well, each being in it operating in its own way toward the continuation of the whole, no event occurring that does not in some way impact parts, if not eventually all, of that smoothly running cycle. Read here "balance."

Some little insignificant bit within that great Circle, if viewing something as being detrimental to that operation, and "blazing in" as you say, on its own to adjust the balance, may in the long run only be feeding into a downward spiral. Hence Light Jedi don't do so.

Real life example: over the years Man rushes in against the perceived evil of many a forest fire. Consistently battles to extinguish these, patting himself on the back for his efforts to "protect the natural beauty" of our land. Does a great job quelling myriad smaller fires over the years.

The result of this? The uncontrollable burning of hundreds of millions of forests in the United States this year. Man thought he was "bringing balance;" he indeed was NOT. He was not "called" to do so (being called could be loosely interpreted as truly understanding the Big Picture, I suppose, and seeing where he might indeed be needed to step in). He responded to his own belief in what was "evil" in this lengthy scenario: justifying himself, patting himself on the back, upholding his own opinions about what was "right" and what was "wrong" about the initial, smaller fires.

Basically butted his snoot where it wasn't wanted, where it didn't belong (as far as Nature was concerned), and in the name of a thinly disguised self-glory ("I'll stop these fires, by golly!") he screwed with the system but royally.

Same thing with Hitler. True evil, yes. His beliefs thinly disguised by a patina of "for the good of the whole" mentality. It was NOT the whole he meant to uphold, merely HIS OWN perceptions of what portions were worthy. Thus, again, his actions resulted from self-aggrandizement once again.

So perhaps I should amend my "good/evil" definition to where "good" can be viewed as actions or statements benefitting others when requested by "others." Otherwise, by stepping in on one's own, one would in effect be shellacking one's own belief system ("geez, things are really bad here; gotta 'help!'") where it probably wasn't needed.

And as for "Uber Jedi?" Actually, these are new to me, but then, I freely admit I haven't read all the SW books!

Still wanna play with me?

------------------
[monger=000FFF,FF0000]"I Ride the Stormcloud and the Night!"[/monger]

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 152.163.195.209
Quee Varcek

Member # 45

posted 09-15-2000 12:11 AM     Profile for Quee Varcek   Author's Homepage   Email Quee Varcek     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Actually, forest fire fighters don't actually try to put out the fires, but let them run their course. They only try to protect the lives and property of those persons living in or near the area. Hence a compromise or balance is attained. I think we have played out this topic as we seem to keep beating a dead tauntaun. I don't see the point in continuing this line unless there are some pyromaniac darksiders of which I am unaware. This could be the case as that may be what happened to maul's face in the early years.

------------------

Posts: 15 | From: | Registered: Aug 2000  |  Logged: 63.15.68.106
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-15-2000 06:52 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Re: your latest forest fighters' comment: Yes, NOW they do!

Hehehe...

Somebody close this thread, quick!

------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.199.164
Rogue Angel

Jedi Knight

Member # 33

posted 09-16-2000 05:36 PM     Profile for Rogue Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Rogue Angel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I forgot to check this thread and look what a can of worms I opened up! Some of this stuff is way over my head, but anyway...

I always looked at the Force using the Oriental concept of Yin and Yang, a necessary balance that exists in the universe. Without evil, we wouldn't know what good was. So in a strange way, we wouldn't have the Light Side if we didn't have the Dark Side. Funny, huh?

------------------

Posts: 357 | From: Mississippi, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 172.133.141.167
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 09-16-2000 07:30 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Personally, I'm still waiting for someone to come up with a truly objective and totally working definition of evil. From what I've read over the years, I don't think it can be done! It's too subjective a concept, really...

------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.192.38

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05