my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
»  The Holonet Boards   » Role Playing   » Complete Star Wars Universe   » Behold a Pale Rider (Page 4)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Printable Version
Author Topic: Behold a Pale Rider
Aaron Barnes

Owner of Eagle Enterprises

Member # 414

posted 06-05-2006 09:07 PM     Profile for Aaron Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Aaron Barnes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Aaron, now finished tending to Jebbua's injuries, looked up and leaned against the wall heavily. "Bon's star charts figure to coordinates for Khar Delba and K'eel Doba," he explained quietly.

Falling silent a moment at that, weariness and something else entirely reflecting in his eyes, Aaron wandered to one of the kitchen table chairs and sat, running a hand through his hair, suddenly the most painful look on his face.

"You're right," he then said softly. "I owe it to Galen. And to Terrin and to the guys...

...and to everyone else I let "take care of matters" while I was too busy running the show on the Hornett. And Shawn's out there somewhere too..."

Aaron paused at this, looking up and towards Thea. "When we go looking for them, what about Thea?"

--------------------

Never trust a scoundrel.

Posts: 384 | From: On the Hornett or ship-dealing elsewhere | Registered: Jan 2003  |  Logged: 68.214.87.148
Commisar Stern

Member # 685

posted 06-05-2006 09:16 PM     Profile for Commisar Stern   Author's Homepage   Email Commisar Stern     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Stern came to the entrance of the base slowly, where twenty of the guards milled about while their mistress raged at them for allowing her to be captured like that, for letting the base be penetrated.

At a small break in her angry rant at Rico there and the guards, he spoke. "Mistress Mitra. They are gone for now. May I suggest you retire to your chambers. I shall set a guard, and in the morning we can decide how to deal with this?"

I was not pleased myself with them, but this could not go on all night, lest we were discovered or something went past the point of no return.

--------------------

"A good general does not lead his troops to hell, just because he knows they will follow." ~Librara Tacticum

Posts: 45 | From: A quiet retirement.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  Logged: 71.212.146.41
Yaoksi Joao

Smuggler Extraordinaire and All-Around Good Guy

Member # 126

posted 06-05-2006 09:17 PM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I remained as I was, staring upward at my inner lids, my eyes far too heavy to open.

Her uncle was expecting her... but really, was that fair to the kid? She did so want to be a Jedi; maybe one of them, somewhere, would take her on. Or maybe not.

In the latter case, if she kept getting turned down, maybe she'd see her dreams to be what they really were, just that. Nothing more than idealistic dreams, dreams that were going to be extremely difficult to attain considering the upheaval going on over the past few years, not to mention the destruction of the Praxeum itself.

I let out a sigh.

"I can't go packing her off to her uncle, I can see now that that's the last thing she wants. She wouldn't be happy; I'll be damned if I'm going to make her feel like she has to run away from me any more..."

I stopped abruptly, swallowing thickly.

"I'd like to bring her with us. If you feel uncomfortable having her around, then I'll just stay around Hornett until Devil is fully repaired; then she can continue on with me."

[ 06-05-2006 09:18 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Yaoksi Joao ]

--------------------

"Hey! It's not my fault!"

Posts: 606 | From: Midwest | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 64.12.116.135
Aaron Barnes

Member # 414

posted 06-05-2006 09:31 PM     Profile for Aaron Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Aaron Barnes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Aaron shook his head. "I think we need to stick together. And I don't know anything much about Jedi protocol...

...but I'd think if the kid is going to be a Jedi, she would have to start learning sometime, and she is now approaching teenage years. Petrolu is out there somewhere..."

Aaron trailed, frowning. "And he has the most connections..." Aaron paused, looking towards Jebbua. "Possibly for you both. Now I'll get on the comm frequencies and get us a ship...it shouldn't take more than 10 to 15 standard minutes...

...and we can leave for the Hornett ASAP."

Now he looked to the little Ryn. "You're gonna love her, and the technology at your fingertips...my business partner kept her up to speed. You'll have the equipment to slice into anything you damn well please...

...that is, if you plan to stick around with us? I'm certain Captain Joao or myself could use your expertise."

[ 06-05-2006 09:39 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Aaron Barnes ]

--------------------

Never trust a scoundrel.

Posts: 384 | From: On the Hornett or ship-dealing elsewhere | Registered: Jan 2003  |  Logged: 68.214.87.148
Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 06-05-2006 09:40 PM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I smiled into encroaching drowsiness.

"I already offerred her a job, but I don't think the ol' Devil can stand up to an SSD..."

The smile still planted on my face, I tapered off, letting myself settle into a state somewhere between being asleep and not-so fully awake.

[ 06-05-2006 09:41 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Yaoksi Joao ]

--------------------

Cel

Really Nice Member

Member # 697

posted 06-05-2006 09:43 PM     Profile for Cel   Author's Homepage   Email Cel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
"My equipment is more than enough to slice into anything i need it to."

However they are giving me away out of here and they are nice people, smugglers and a naieve girl, but nice."

"I'm in, no offense, Thea is smart, but when it comes to street smarts she's dumb as a rock. Someone needs to show her how to get by."

--------------------

Creator of Adrianna Joao (Cel, "Link"), Kyan Jetiis'ad (Deceased), Kani Jetiis'ad, Bes'in Skirata

Posts: 328 | From: Oregon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  Logged: 205.246.155.147
Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 06-05-2006 09:47 PM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
It was a good thing I was too tired to rise up at what I first thought to be insolence...

...because that gave me time to think about it.

She's right, she's absolutely right. Thea is naive; didn't I just say that to myself?

I dragged an eye open, directed it somewhat blearily at the little Ryn.

"Any, er... street smarts you could perhaps enlighten her with might be much appreciated, when she finally comes to, that is.

"Just don't go turning her into a thug or anything, she does want to be a Jedi, you know."

--------------------

Cel

Really Nice Member

Member # 697

posted 06-05-2006 09:57 PM     Profile for Cel   Author's Homepage   Email Cel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
"Thug no, borderline smugler maybe."

I wondered what it would be like to have lived like she did, not knowing the true horrors of the world, of being abandoned on a wolrd that despises you for simply being the race you are, looks down on you for being rescued and raised by smugglers, to being a slicer both wanted for my skills and for voilations of laws by almost every goverment.

"At will probably be good for her to ave someone close to her age around too."

--------------------

Creator of Adrianna Joao (Cel, "Link"), Kyan Jetiis'ad (Deceased), Kani Jetiis'ad, Bes'in Skirata

Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 06-05-2006 10:05 PM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
That statement dragged open my other eye. I blinked, shifted a bit, let my head roll along the back of the chair I was in until my eyes met Link's. She was standing fairly close, her eyes meeting mine unafraid, bright and intelligent.

I let a moment or two creep silently by before speaking.

"You have a good point, Link. You're welcome to stay with us for as long as you'd like, and not just for Thea's sake, either. I mean, don't get me wrong, I think she's going to need someone her own age too."

It's going to be some kind of ride getting to the Jedi she so dearly wants to join; a kid in a dangerous world filled with dangerous adults alone, well...

I shifted, blinked, stared deeper into the brightness of Link's eyes.

"You did good back there, kid. I just want you to know that; we couldn't have done it without you.

"Thank you."

With that I closed my eyes, rolled back to my original position, stretched out.

"Smuggler, heh," I let out a chuckle as I folded my hands on my lap.

"With me sponsoring her, she can join the Guild..."

[ 06-05-2006 10:17 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Yaoksi Joao ]

--------------------

Aaron Barnes

Member # 414

posted 06-05-2006 10:08 PM     Profile for Aaron Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Aaron Barnes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Aaron was beginning to stand upon the Link's last statement. It was all he could do to keep from freezing where he was and looking at her in surprise.

Yeesh, how old was the Ryn? Obviously he didn't know the first thing about their age.

He smiled then, nodding politely to the Ryn before he headed out to make a quick comm or two. About five standard minutes later, he returned to where he had been before, reseated himself. "We're in luck," he said. "Tons of EE purchasing options with the earlier blast...

...just got us a nice little yacht for our ride out of here. She'll be ready for pick-up at 0600 hours which..." Aaron paused, scowling as he looked at his wrist chrono, "Is only about 2 hours from now."

He paused, yawning. "I'm sure this place has some nice resting areas. And I could sure use a nap..."

--------------------

Never trust a scoundrel.

Cel

Really Nice Member

Member # 697

posted 06-05-2006 10:34 PM     Profile for Cel   Author's Homepage   Email Cel     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
"Maybe some sleep would be good."

I found a comfortable couch and procedded to take all the cushions and pillows from it and tossed them into one corner of the room, I then took of my vest and used it as a blanket. curling up in a little ball i rested my head on my tail and fell fast asleep.

--------------------

Cardissa Mitra

Member # 731

posted 06-05-2006 10:43 PM     Profile for Cardissa Mitra   Author's Homepage   Email Cardissa Mitra     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Cardissa paused where she was, turned to Stern, and in one smooth motion moved to stand directly in front of him, her eyes suddenly icy. "You, sans your acid-spraying weapon, will be with the guard," she growled. "Didn't you think for one moment about who you were shooting towards?!? I was standing right in that acid rain!"

She paused at that, scowling. Then she turned to Rico. "And you," she continued, "You will prepare whatever may be needed for Mr. Foyagee's trip...

...and I expect everthing to be ready by 0800 hours. Rebellion is tiring work, and with the little girl's caretaker so suspicious, we haven't the time to dilly-dally."

And we haven't the time to be sitting around here should they discovered she's been drugged. And possibly with what.

"I do hope Mr. Foyagee has all the logistics firmly in place, because we certainly don't have the time to figure them all now..."

[ 06-05-2006 10:44 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Cardissa Mitra ]

--------------------

Never trust a beautiful woman, especially one who is interested in you. ~~Magneto, XMen II

"You rely on cunning, intrigue. I prefer the direct approach." Diana, V

Posts: 75 | From: Somewhere, scheming | Registered: May 2006  |  Logged: 68.214.87.148
Commisar Stern

Member # 685

posted 06-05-2006 10:57 PM     Profile for Commisar Stern   Author's Homepage   Email Commisar Stern     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I was hardly phased by the shouting, and merely nodded. "Noted, Mistress Mitra. Deepest appologies." I bowed my head slightly. Honestly though? I cared not.

If anything, I was annoyed that she had gone and gotten herself captured. Had she not been there in the hall, then it would have taken me a matter of seconds to dispose of the enter grouping of them.

I sighed and looked over the troopers, who seemed quite nervous now that she was in such a rage.

--------------------

"A good general does not lead his troops to hell, just because he knows they will follow." ~Librara Tacticum

Posts: 45 | From: A quiet retirement.... | Registered: Jul 2005  |  Logged: 71.212.146.41
Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 06-05-2006 10:57 PM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Two hours, ugh.

Ah well, Yaoksi ol' pirate, count your blessings that you're here, able to sleep those two hours!

"Ready when you are, Aaron," I slurred, settling a little before turning a final glance Link's way. Surprisingly enough, she was no longer where she had been; a quick look about and I found her, curled up on the floor.

I frowned a little to see how much of her was sticking out from her vest.

Hauling to my feet, I dragged another nearby blanket from its perch and, coming up quietly beside her, covered her with it.

Then I gave Thea a final check-over, returned to my chair, stretched out like before, and before you can say Rancor's Resistance was out like a light.

--------------------

Aaron Barnes

Member # 414

posted 06-05-2006 11:47 PM     Profile for Aaron Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Aaron Barnes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Two hours later

Aaron was out like a light, nevermind that he was sleeping with his head on the kitchen table. He'd gone to find himself a bottle of Whyrene's, not quite able to get out of his head that Terrin, Galen, the guys, Yaoksi, and others had been here, fighting for security and lives...

...and he'd been back aboard the posh Hornett. And she wasn't even his damn ship.

The vibration of his wristcomm jarred Aaron awake. He opened one eye blearily, finding himself staring across the room to the stove, suddenly realizing what an uncomfortable position he was in. Only half awake, he raised his head, and pushed the 'accept' button on the comm. "Barnes here," he said, albeit groggily.

"The Indira is ready and waiting," came the voice on the other end.

Aaron nodded. "Thank you very much. We'll be on our way shortly.

Aaron turned to the others, uncertain if anyone was really awake yet. After all, Aaron wasn't even totally awake. "Yaoksi, Jebbua, Link..." he started, "The yacht is ready. As much as I'd like another six hours of sleep...

...I vote we get out of here, now."

--------------------

Never trust a scoundrel.

Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 06-05-2006 11:53 PM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
"Hey," I said, lifting a lid in Aaron's direction. Even though I'd probably had less than two hours sleep, the life of a smuggler does have it's perks. Sometimes two hours can be an eternity; I was more awake than Aaron probably realized.

"I said I was ready when you are, pal."

Stretching to get the kinks out I got out of the chair, glanced about the room. Thea still snored on the couch, her eyes still rolling, while Cel was still out like a light on the floor.

"Shall we gather up the kiddies and depart?" I said, a twinkle in my eye, for nothing wakes up an old spacedog more than the thought of getting off-rock once again.

And if I ever get back to this forsaken planet, it will be too soon--!

--------------------

Rico Riven

Member # 603

posted 06-06-2006 12:39 AM     Profile for Rico Riven   Author's Homepage   Email Rico Riven     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I turned to Cass, somewhat dumbfounded. She was mad, that’s for sure, but more on the verge of a tirade than anything else.

“Hold on, sweetie” I said. “First, I was out making sure Bluebell here didn’t get himself killed! He went out there on his own talk with them, and they attacked him and broke in! It was way too easy for them! I'll be happy to tighten things up around here, but why the blue-blazes is security so light around here if this is supposed to be a super-secret HQ of the bloody rebellion?”

I heard a cough and a shuffle behind me, and turned to see Bluebell standing up, holding his head.

--------------------

I never fly faster than I can see, and besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Posts: 107 | From: | Registered: Feb 2005  |  Logged: 12.216.67.77
Jebbua Dahutt

Really Nice Member

Member # 433

posted 06-06-2006 01:12 AM     Profile for Jebbua Dahutt   Author's Homepage   Email Jebbua Dahutt     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I sat cross-legged on the floor in a healing my trance.

Aaron did a good job dressing the wound and I finshed up by healing it in a trance, though two hours wasn't enough time I did mange to stop the pain.

I opened my eyes and got to my feet.

"I'm ready, though two things before we go. You mind if I make a little call to the authorties and tip them off about the little place we were at and does anyone have a blaster I can borrow?"

I lifted my use-less lightsaber in my hand.

"I need a new power-cell for this one, and I need something to fight back with."

--------------------

My characters- Jebbua Dahutt, Alexis Dahutt, and Jurrsk Balck.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Everything that has an ending has a beginning.

Posts: 281 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2003  |  Logged: 70.243.176.23
Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 06-06-2006 01:14 AM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I turned to Jebbua with a frown creasing my features.

"First of all, buddy, right now the authorities around here are the Impys, and since we most certainly want to be departing from this charming planet and not detained for who knows how long, I think it would be a good choice to notify them at a later date.

"Secondly, what fighting back? Aren't you going with us?"

--------------------

Jebbua Dahutt

Really Nice Member

Member # 433

posted 06-06-2006 01:17 AM     Profile for Jebbua Dahutt   Author's Homepage   Email Jebbua Dahutt     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I sighed. He was right we need to get out of here fast.

"Yeah, I'm going with you, it's that I feel naked without some kind of weapon. So I was wondering if I could have a blaster, I'm not that good with one but... Unless you happen to have a power-cell and I can fix it on the way?" I asked curuoisly.

--------------------

My characters- Jebbua Dahutt, Alexis Dahutt, and Jurrsk Balck.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Everything that has an ending has a beginning.

Posts: 281 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2003  |  Logged: 70.243.176.23
Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 06-06-2006 02:45 AM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I smiled, stretched again and went over to Jebbua.

"Don't worry," I told him as I clapped a hand on his shoulder.

"I've got a pal onboard Hornett who's got so many gizmos and whatnots, you'll be certain to get your lightsaber fixed. Can't see how you're going to need it en route anyway... oops, sorry."

My smile turned awkward for a moment, for I'd forgotten how a Jedi would feel without his lightsaber.

Like I'd feel without my blaster, more than likely, I thought, one hand snaking to my holster to pat it assuringly.

"Anyway," I went on as I moved away from him, now going over to where Link was curled up in a little white ball. Stooping, I picked her up easily, nodded to Jebbua to please take Thea.

"I don't have a handy power cell on me; sorry. Everything I own, such as it is, is back at my place, and I really don't plan on going back there anytime soon."

A noise made me turn; it was Aaron, coming in from the galley area of the little HQ, looking a bit more chipper.

"Are we ready to go?" I asked, feeling like a Pod racer must feel on Boonta Eve.

Rarin' to go; let's get this show on the road already!

--------------------

Aaron Barnes

Member # 414

posted 06-06-2006 11:22 AM     Profile for Aaron Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Aaron Barnes     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Aaron nodded, a bit of a lopsided grin on his face. "Oh yeah," he said, "And this is supposed to be a nice ship."

Just the kind of ship that any Eagle Enterprise guy would have to be out of their mind not to love.

"Let's lock up and get a move on."

With nothing more than that, Aaron opened the little unassuming base's "front door" and let everyone pass through before he stepped out himself, closing the door behind him and locking the place down, making certain to keep the pre-set code...

...just in case anybody ever needed a good hideout. Turning then, Aaron lead everyone back through the tunnels and mazes of Priingsi, unconciously putting a hand on the butt of his blaster, yet keeping it in the holster. Finally, they wound their way through the passages til at length they approached a small, private landing area. They were met by a man who approached Aaron, already seeming to know who he was. And he probably did at that.

"You'll love her," was all the man said, handing Aaron a datapad that had the ship's passcode on it. Aaron nodded, saluting to the other man. "Pleasure doing business with you. If this ship is as wonderful as you're claiming, I just might keep her."

The man merely returned a grin. "Typical EE leadership, keeping ships for themselves."

A rueful smile crossed Aaron's face at that, for he knew well that Terrin had bought another nice little yacht from this man, one he'd kept for himself as well. The ZZ'Shq, Aaron recalled. Heading for the private landing area then, Aaron was met with the sight of a beautiful 5500 Horizon-class Star Yacht, much like the one Mara Jade's Jade Shadow. She was pristine, with 2 laser cannons, 2 concussion missle lauchers and a retractable blaster cannon. Armed nicely enough, but not too conspicous or overly loaded with weaponry, her outer hull was a nice shade of deep green, which would make her a little less blaring against the darkness of space while not appearing too covert.

Aaron's jaw nearly hit the ground at the sight of her. "Man, no wonder Terrin liked to buy ships from here!" he managed, glancing to Yaoksi and Jebbua with a 'Hey, definitely can't complain!' look.

He headed for the hatch of the ship, keyed in the passcode he had been given, and was rewarded with the hatch opening smoothly, the interior of the ship already beckoning Aaron to come in and see what she had inside. That was all the encouragement Aaron needed.

"Oh boy, I'm looking forward to this," he said, heading up the hatch and for the cockpit of the ship to then begin warming her up for space travel and to see just what other wonderful technology she was sporting.

--------------------

Never trust a scoundrel.

Yaoksi Joao

Member # 126

posted 06-06-2006 03:48 PM     Profile for Yaoksi Joao   Author's Homepage   Email Yaoksi Joao     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
I followed Aaron's lead, moving quickly up the gangway to find myself in a passageway, along which he had disappeared. Only his voice wafted back to me, and I grinned, casting a quick look about.

She's well apportioned enough, that's for certain, I thought as I continued along the passageway, Jebbua on my heels, as we hunted for somewhere to place the kids.

Not too enormous, yet not too small--

High on glitz... she's sure not Devil--

I smiled to myself at the instinctive reaction the gleaming greelwood bulkheads I was passing by had triggered, compared the softly carpeted deck beneath my feet to the honest, cold durasteel of Devil-May-Care's decking.

But then, she's not meant to be a smuggler's ship now, is she?

After a short distance I came upon another passageway, which led me a touch deeper into the yacht. There I came upon a compartment which was obviously meant to be quarters: several bunks were lined neatly up in the center, there was a tiny fresher tucked into a corner where two bulkheads met, while overshadowing the lot a row of good-sized portals displayed the view without the ship.

Nice--

I laid Link quietly on a bunk, still wrapped in the blanket from the headquarters where we had taken refuge. A slight rustle revealed the Jedi following suit.

I turned to him, a finger to my lips, and backed quietly from the compartment into the passageway beyond.

"Let's go find the bridge and see if there's anything useful we can do. Otherwise--"

I grinned, now moving back toward the main companionway.

"I believe a trip to the galley would be in order..."

[ 06-06-2006 03:51 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Yaoksi Joao ]

--------------------

Posts: 606 | From: Midwest | Registered: Jun 2001  |  Logged: 205.188.117.65
Cardissa Mitra

Member # 731

posted 06-06-2006 09:21 PM     Profile for Cardissa Mitra   Author's Homepage   Email Cardissa Mitra     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
Cardissa looked at Rico, arching her eyebrow. "Everyone has to start somewhere...

...and this is our beginning."

Pausing at that, she then looked to Foyagee. "For future reference," she continued then, "Going out to greet anyone in the wee hours of the morning--familiar or nonfamiliar--is out of the question. At any rate, however, we will not be here. I want all systems shut down, all computer files copied and locked, and everything else locked down tighter than a Toydarian's cash register."

Once more she eyed Foyagee. "I trust you have the coordinates to our next destination? The ship is ready and waiting, now that we have a crew.

When 0900 hours arrives, I expect to be leaving the surface of this planet, crew aboard, and to the place where you think we will find miraculous ships."

She paused, cocking her head, studying Foyagee a moment longer before finishing with, "I most certainly hope you do not disappoint me."

--------------------

Never trust a beautiful woman, especially one who is interested in you. ~~Magneto, XMen II

"You rely on cunning, intrigue. I prefer the direct approach." Diana, V

Posts: 75 | From: Somewhere, scheming | Registered: May 2006  |  Logged: 68.214.87.148
The Empire

Member # 386

posted 06-06-2006 09:50 PM     Profile for The Empire   Author's Homepage   Email The Empire     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post
((OOC: This is a follow-up to two posts: The Empire post in What is Good for the Goose in the "CSWU" forums, and to General Ahem's posts in Dark Star, Black Sun in the "CSWU" forums, thank you.))

The Communications ensign paused a moment, coming up for air from beneath the mounds and mounds of data that had suddenly turned his boring stint aboard the destroyer left in Sullustan orbit into one in which there simply weren't enough hours in the day to get everything done.

I'm cursed, that's it, he scowled to himself as his fellows gave him a frown for stopping.

I wanted something to do...

And he had gotten it.

It was about a standard day after he had made that thoughtless comment to himself that General Ahem's order had come in. He was en route, due into orbit within the hour, and he wanted his orders completed by the time he arrived.

The ensign checked his chrono.

It's 0750, he thought, cutting a nervous glance to his fellow officers, who had been working nonstop over the past couple days since the order had come to them:

Check id, ownership, and if possible, destination and last planetfall of every yacht that was sitting on Sullust.

Every blessed last one.

Everywhere.

The ensign shook his head, frowned back at his peers who were frowning at him in turn, and went back to work. Finding the yachts themselves wasn't too difficult. Most had landed in the main Piringiisi spaceport. There were a few dozen who were docked at private yards; fortunately the Empire had good relations with Sullustan officials, coming in as they had in the wake of the Aelly Ssyn Affair, and so through them they were given as much infomation as they required about all private yachts not sitting in governmental yards.

But knowing the names and sigs and shipyard of origin was one thing, the Ensign muttered to himself as he began tracing yet another ship's information.

Finding out which was truthful, and which was forged... that proved to be more difficult.

But if anyone traced back far enough in anybody's history, or in the history of anything, there was always a Nexus. A crux. A basis, from which truth either continued to flow or otherwise turned into fraud.

So far he had personally traced the information for 150 yachts. 146 of them panned out; the other 4 were suspect, sitting alone by themselves while he waited digital images of ship buyers to come across the immensity of space into his terminal.

He still had 78 to go... and his fellows had who knows how many "clean" ships, how many suspect, and how many yet to investigate.

He took another glance at his chrono, and sighed, sending yet another ship's sig to another officer who would follow up with the destination its captain needs to give before it can be given an escape vector to leave port.

And then we have to follow up on those, too...

Pursing his lips, he went back to work, keenly aware of the ticking of the clock, counting down the moment of Sormontonto's arrival.

[ 06-06-2006 09:56 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by The Empire ]

--------------------

Coming soon, to a blockade near you....

Posts: 197 | From: We're Everywhere! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  Logged: 64.12.116.135

All times are CT
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e