The Holonet Boards   » Episode 2 & 3   » Did Anakin REALLY give Obi-Wan his lightsaber for Luke?

Selah

posted 09-20-2002 01:50 PM    
I want wild-speculation here....Did Obi-Wan steal it from Anakin? (Perhaps after Anakin was, umm...incapacitated during their duel?) Was it an old one of Obi's? Do you really think that Anakin GAVE it to Obi-Wan to give to Anakin's son? After all, we know that the twins were kept from Anakin/Darth Vader; so how on earth did Obi-Wan come up with the story that "Your father wanted you to have this, when you were old enough"??

Entaris

posted 09-20-2002 07:33 PM    
Maybe when anakin starts turning to the darkside vissably, obi-wan takes anakins lightsaber from him and say's "you are no longer fit to be a jedi knight, im afraid you have fallen to the dark, should you once more find the light, this will be waiting for you" and then anakin could struggle over it, and obi-wan could inadvertably push him into whatever it is that screws anakin up... THEN obi-wan would feel horrible, and keep the saber, and vow to keep the saber in memory of his young padawan. Then when luke comes along he say's "ow, heres a lightsaber..."

yodadasolja

posted 01-19-2003 08:01 PM    
first of all, anakin doesnt even know padme was pregnant when he turned into vader, so he couldnt give his lightsaber to obi-wan to give to luke, when he didnt know he ever existed until eps. 5 and 6.

arogers1102

posted 02-07-2003 12:33 AM    
"The son of Skywalker must not be allowed to become a JEDI." was one of Palpy's first lines in ESB... this says to me that they have been keeping an eye on LUKE for a while. Same goes for YODA... "A long time, this one have I watched." It seems to me that everyone knew about LUKE... but no one really knew about LEIA... So I think that ANAKIN did give BEN his LIGHTSABER before he turned to the DARK SIDE!

star_warrior20

posted 11-11-2003 12:35 PM    
Obi-Wan kept it after the duel we know that for sure

Selah

posted 11-11-2003 08:11 PM    
How do we know?

star_warrior20

posted 11-17-2003 11:34 AM    
that's just it, we don't

Shahrazad

posted 03-19-2005 08:29 PM    
Texthey, I thought that you just said we did know that. I think that anikan didn't give it away becuase as someone said earlier, he didn't know leia was pregnant, so how could he give his lightsaber to someone who doesn't exsist?

Major-Konig

posted 05-22-2005 04:29 PM    
since i'm sure many of us have seen the movie, we know exactly what happened... But since there are still you stragglers... I'll keep silent

Selah

posted 05-22-2005 05:18 PM    
Absolutely. Now, we know. ; ) No more "wild speculation" necessary. My bedtime story is concluded. *wistful sigh*

Graysith

posted 05-22-2005 05:42 PM    
First of all Anakin most certainly DID know that Padme was pregnant when he turned to Vader... I mean, sheesh, that's basically WHY he ended up becoming Vader:

To protect Padme from dying in childbirth.

As for the lightsaber thing, Obi-Wan picked up Anakin's lightsaber after his final duel with him (the coward couldn't even finish off his old padawan, sheesh!!! There's a Jedi for ya!) and kept it.

I think he kinda "fudged" about it all when he said to Luke "your father wanted you to have this..." just to get him interested in becoming a Jedi, since he already had obvious interest in becoming a fighter against the Empire.

Selah

posted 05-22-2005 06:09 PM    
I had a problem with Obi-Wan just leaving Anakin, suffering, too; but after I saw the film the second time, I realized that Obi-Wan actually pleaded with Yoda to not send him to face Anakin, saying, "I can't kill Anakin!" I'm sure it's not cowardice, now, and it's more that Obi-Wan has come to believe that Anakin truly is the Chosen One. He's hoping that somehow there is a way for Anakin to still bring balance to The Force and grieving because of Anakin's violence and anger and complete disregard for sensibility.