The Holonet Boards   » Leaving Orbit....   » What a Difference a Year Makes!

Graysith

posted 09-01-2004 08:30 AM    
All right, folks, there's no way out of this. The sky at night this fall sucks.

No planets to be seen now: they all rise waaaay late or in the early hours of the morning. Ok, if you're in the center of the US and hang around until about 3:00 a.m. you'll get to see Venus. But Jupiter, Saturn... they don't show in our skies until around 7:00 a.m., CDT.

And as for Mars??? After the WONDERFUL show it gave us last year at this time...

It too is peeking out in the wee hours.

Boo.

*Sighs*

Oh well, back to Venus: it's in the dawn sky, and pretty bright. So if you get up before sunrise you can see her.

Blade of Chaos

posted 09-05-2004 02:48 AM    
You're telling me, Graysith. The only thing I have round here to look at night is the moon...and some stars. Very few that i can see clearly.

Unless I'm up in the mountains camping, that is. I aboslutely love the view up there. You can just stand still and watch the sky till you freeze. (I'm speaking from personal experience here...)

But camping season's over. Bummer. Back to my boring old night sky. Even more boring, since I can't stay up to watch for Venus...

I miss Mars, too.

[ 09-05-2004 02:49 AM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Blade of Chaos ]

Rykounagin

posted 09-05-2004 02:51 AM    
Mars is war. If we can't see it, then why are we in Iraq?

Blade of Chaos

posted 09-05-2004 04:44 AM    
Didn't think you were one to believe that the planets control our fates and stuff like that, Ryk.

Or was that a joke?

I'm too tired to be sure...

Padme of Hidden Lake

posted 09-07-2004 10:06 PM    
Yeah I miss the camping sky too... or the 4 nights all summer we had where we could see anything that is... we had nothing but rain and T-storms for 7 very wet weeks this summer so I only got to give 1 astronomy lesson... Luckily it was to my Hogwarts Adventure kids so they didn't think I was lame for doing it the way some kids do... Kids these days I'm telling ya...