my profile | register | search | faq | forum home | switch id
»  The Holonet Boards   » Our Galaxy.......   » Beyond Star Wars   » Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Printable Version
Author Topic: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 05-23-2008 04:55 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Don't see this movie.

A comprehensive review by an average indy fan:
http://movies.yahoo.com/mvc/dfrv?mid=1808404510&s=&rvid=7-550470&i=3&spl= &ys=KC3ir2XZdJY.yslhyQbiig--

I'll add that the kid from Transformers is the one bright spot, there are a few other indy worthy scenes (but you see them in the trailers), and Harrison Ford failed to familiarize himself with the proper 'motivation'. Twenty years is a long time. I'm very disappointed in George 'CGI' Lucas.

**Spoiler Alert**

A CGI prairie dog attempts to steal the screen in the opening sequence. What can I say to that? A campy, feel good mainstream hollywood piece of crap. Adventure has a name... remember the trilogy for what it was and avoid this tragedy.

[ 05-23-2008 05:00 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by Loban ]

--------------------

In the absence of light, darkness prevails

Posts: 1163 | From: Ardmore, OK | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 24.119.78.184
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 05-25-2008 11:43 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
And another viewpoint:

I went to see this, although after reading the abovementioned review I wasn't really wanting to. BUT I got dragged to it...

And to my delight I found it a great, fun movie. I thought it kept right up to par with the original trio, it drew me in in spite of me going in with a negative attitude, and it kept me with it during its entirety.

This isn't meant to be, nor have ANY of the Indy movies meant to be, "serious" action drama, but rather campy tongue-in-cheek adventure. I mean, c'mon, they start out going after some legendary, mystical thing or other which in NORMAL movies wouldn't be found because they never existed. Or did so only in legend, that kind of thing, But he finds the Ark, he finds the Holy Grail, and in this unique approach to ancient legend he finds El Dorado.

I loved every minute of it, and plan on buying the DVD when it comes out.

--------------------

I ride the Stormcloud and the Night!

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 12.216.67.77
patternghost

Ghostly, just ghostly

Member # 477

posted 05-25-2008 11:54 AM     Profile for patternghost   Author's Homepage   Email patternghost     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
After waiting for years to finally have another Indy movie, I wasn't about to miss this one, despite what some reviews had been saying. And I'm glad I went to it!

I thought it captured the feel and spirit of the other movies, had a better plot than Temple of Doom, and didn't disappoint me. It had ample opportunities to go sour but it turned in the right direction. Yes, there was a lot of CGI, but I don't think it detracted.

OK, maybe the monkees were a bit much, but still...

[ 05-26-2008 12:23 PM: Message edited 1 time, lastly by patternghost ]

--------------------

When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there

Posts: 261 | From: North Liberty, IA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  Logged: 12.216.67.77
Loban

Padawan

Member # 253

posted 05-25-2008 12:58 PM     Profile for Loban   Author's Homepage   Email Loban     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
The prairie dogs!

Anyway, I'm glad I cast such a dark light that when you went it was with low expectations. Mine were too high, apparently

--------------------

In the absence of light, darkness prevails

Posts: 1163 | From: Ardmore, OK | Registered: Jun 2002  |  Logged: 24.119.78.184
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 05-26-2008 01:35 AM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
Hey, the monkeys were cute, but I have to admit a certain fondness for the prairie dogs...

Woof.

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 12.216.67.77
Mara1Jade

Expanded Universe Goddess and Corran Obsessor

Member # 68

posted 05-26-2008 08:26 PM     Profile for Mara1Jade   Author's Homepage   Email Mara1Jade     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
I liked the movie as well. And hey, the prarie dogs may have been campy, but I thought they were funny. And interestingly enough, all the Indy movies, including this one, have a touch of historical fact in them. I loved the tie-ins to the Mitchell Hedges skull. And, on another note, people out there DO BELIEVE that the skulls were created by something other-worldly, perhaps even aliens.

Not that I necessarily belive this, however, but I do love the truth behind the fiction!

--------------------

Small minds think in small terms!
~~CMH, creator and writer of Shayla Petrolu, Erik Kartan, Shawn Petrolu, Terrin Danner, Jasyn Lancaster, Matt Stanza, Aaron Barnes, And Taylor Garrison~~

Posts: 972 | From: Jacksonville, FL, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  Logged: 76.122.52.178
Graysith

Chosen Daughter

Member # 27

posted 05-27-2008 06:53 PM     Profile for Graysith   Author's Homepage   Email Graysith     Send New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote
If anyone out there is into this kind of connection (crystal skulls and history, lol) you've got to read Greg Donegal's "Atlantis" series. They're out of print now, I think, but I believe you can still get them at Amazon.com.

ATLANTIS, BEYOND THE TRIANGLE, DEVIL'S SEA, ATLANTIS GATE, and BATTLE FOR ATLANTIS

They're a great series!!

--------------------

Posts: 3904 | From: Indianola, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  Logged: 205.188.117.195

All times are CT  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    Top Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | The Holonet Boards

Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.04e

© escape pod 2000-05